Halcyon products confusion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cornfed:
Really? Do you have a quote where JJ says that?

"Many divers mistakenly believe that they must have large buoyancy compensators to support their diving needs. Actually, divers do not need excessive amounts of lift; large wings, because of the additional material they require, only serve to increase drag. However, if, in fact, a diver does need more than 65 pounds of lift for diving doubles, or more than 30 pounds for diving singles, then they do not have a balanced rig and are an accident waiting to happen." -- Doing It Right, The Fundamentals of Better Diving, p. 70

So he's just screwing people by selling them a wing that is of no use, and violates his teachings?? I may be a little slow to the goal, but I need to have his clarification on this one. It seems we have a crack in the mold here.

Nowhere did he say that the wings were useless or not DIR. "...if, in fact, a diver does need more than 65 pounds of lift for diving doubles...then they do not have a balanced rig and are an accident waiting to happen" doesn't exclude their use from non-single or non-double tank applications.

Halthron:
"...if, in fact, a diver does need more than 65 pounds of lift for diving doubles...then they do not have a balanced rig and are an accident waiting to happen" doesn't exclude their use from non-single or non-double tank applications.

ah....

*scratch head*

*re-read*

ah...

H2Andy:
ah....

*scratch head*

*re-read*

ah...
I know...I ran it through babelfish.com and still didn't get anything out of it.

*Floater*:
"Many divers mistakenly believe that they must have large buoyancy compensators to support their diving needs. Actually, divers do not need excessive amounts of lift; large wings, because of the additional material they require, only serve to increase drag. However, if, in fact, a diver does need more than 65 pounds of lift for diving doubles, or more than 30 pounds for diving singles, then they do not have a balanced rig and are an accident waiting to happen." -- Doing It Right, The Fundamentals of Better Diving, p. 70
All you do is quote people, have you thought through any of these issues yourself? There are dozens of things in that book which can't be taken litterally. If you don't believe me just read the fitness chapter.

I don't care what you've read or who can you quote on command but you need to cool it. You jumped on the original poster and told him he was an accident waiting to happen just because he posted in the DIR section. This thread isn't in the DIR section and the original poster never mentioned DIR so why harrass him about it? Crap like this is what gives DIR a bad name.

I don't know if you think you're being helpful or just feel important because you're doling out advice, but you seriously need to rearrange your cotton.

dude, floater was asked to provide a quote by JJ on the subject

do you read posts before slamming people?

:wink:

(if you're mean to me i'll kick yuour DIR)

H2Andy:
do you read posts before slamming people?
Of course, I'm the one that asked him for the quote. :D

i knew that... i was seeing if you were paying attention?

:55:

but seriously, why slam the guy for quoting JJ? i mean... you asked him to

H2Andy:
ah....

*scratch head*

*re-read*

ah...
The comment was in reply to someone who was slamming the comment by JJ. I'm not trying to show that a larger wing is a DIR answer, rather than there is a valid reason for producing them without "screwing over" the customer. Possible reasons include very deep diving (insane number of tanks), maybe commercial or military as well. I'm going to assume that there isn't a rebreather that would require it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom