Halcyon Proteus and Helios Lights - Pros and Cons?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MAK52580:
I have thought about purchasing a canister light at some point in the near future and was looking at the Helios 4.5 or the Proteus 3. Since most DIR folks in this forum either use these are know their workings intimately, I thought I would ask for the pros and cons between the two and any suggestions that you may have? Thanks.

Marc
I'm getting a Helios 9 next month...I'll post a review of it after I get it wet.

Wow
Where did you get the mortgage for that!?!?!

I'd have a heck of a time explaining that one to my wife. The only thing I would have going for me is that in her wildest dreams, I am sure she could never conceive of a light costing that much! LOL!

But honestly, enjoy the new equip...

JAG

jagfish:
Wow
Where did you get the mortgage for that!?!?!

I'd have a heck of a time explaining that one to my wife. The only thing I would have going for me is that in her wildest dreams, I am sure she could never conceive of a light costing that much! LOL!

But honestly, enjoy the new equip...

JAG
Well, since I'm not married, buying new dive gear is probably a lot easier for me!

ElectricZombie:
Well, since I'm not married, buying new dive gear is probably a lot easier for me!
How true is that!

I think I may make a point of staying single until I have all the gear and have done all training I want!

grunzster:
How true is that!

I think I may make a point of staying single until I have all the gear and have done all training I want!

Now that's a well thought out plan!!!

JAG

I upgraded from a Dive-Rite 10W MR11 to a Helios 13.5 18W.

The light is amazing. The beam is a true steel cutter. The can is about the same size as my old light, but I have 6 hours of burn time, which means that I can make several long dives per day without switching out the battery or charging it.

Quite a few of my buddies use the Helios 9's or 13.5's. We've had very good luck with them.

I have the Helios 9 with the 10W head. Somehow, during a dive I managed to unscrew the beam adjuster out and flooded the light. There is supposed to be a limit-stop preventing such action, but either I didn't notice it or it didnt work. Either way, the the limit aduster didnt and the light flooded, .
Back on board, I unscrewed the lens, rinsed with fresh water, drained and dried the interior in the sun. It worked the next day! Well upon ressembly - the bulb must have been not seated correctly or the limit adjuster was in too far, cause I crushed the bulb out case. The light still worked! I sent it back for a rebuild, and it's less than 30 days old, so we'll see how they handle this. I take responsibility for the bulb, I guess, but the limiter should have prevented me from unscrewing the beam adjuster.
I'll repost on how this turns out...

I just got a Proteus 3 and love it.... Yeah it's lead acid (120 min burn) but the replacements are cheap.... (About 25 buck then a little soldering and the connectors) and sooner or later I might try making a NimH battery pack for it. It's not really that big either. For the type of diving I do Nor Cal 2 dives @ 45ft 45 mins approx it does the job... All I have to do now is put in another 25 bucks and I double my burn time :)

Ben

I've been using this light since Sept of last year. I get about 7.5 hours of burn time. I really like it, but made the mistake of letting my wife use it on a recent trip to Coz. Now I'm saving up for a 18wt Helios 9 so she can have the 10... The light works great, charger charges and I've never had a problem with mine, except for some minor surface rust after last years trip to Roatan. Rinse well (better than I did) and you should be fine.

Tyson

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom