Halcyon vs OMS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Advokat

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm limiting my choice of BP/W to these two brands. I'm thinking of getting Aliminium backplate and a 60LB wing or larger, as I'm a bit concerned that 60LB wing will not lift twin 15l steel set up and a stage bottle. Can I get some opinions on these two brands and their set ups?thanks

Get the OMS, a lot stronger gear and better meterials IMO

Advokat:
I'm limiting my choice of BP/W to these two brands. I'm thinking of getting Aliminium backplate and a 60LB wing or larger, as I'm a bit concerned that 60LB wing will not lift twin 15l steel set up and a stage bottle. Can I get some opinions on these two brands and their set ups?thanks

I've used gear by both companies, and the thought that the OMS gear is "a lot stronger" is laughable. Both materials are quite similar.

A 60# lift wing is regularly used in our area to dive twin steels larger than 15l, multiple stages, and decompression gas, along with reels, and other equipment. My personal setup is tanks that are about 15l in size along with an AL80 stage, reel, spools, tools in my pockets, etc. Even when carrying that load in a wetsuit, the 60# wing (and 55# Oxycheq wing) offered more than enough lift.

Advokat:

There are many good quality Back Plates and wings available today.

Before selecting a type or brand I'd suggest spending a little more time analyzing your application. Keep in mind that the single most important factor affecting ballast requirements and lift requirements is the buoyancy of your exposure suit, not the material of your tanks.

There are certainly applications for 60 lbs lift wings, and also for Aluminum back plates, but to use the two together would be an unusual choice.

Lots of lift implies lots of gas and or ballast. If you need lots of ballast why use a lightweight plate?

Assuming you are using 232 bar steel 15L tanks they will be close to neutral when empty (if you are using other tanks this example could be flawed)

Your tanks will hold about 20 lbs of gas.

You need to start your dive negative by the weight of your back gas, + a few lbs., lets say about 22 lbs.

You also need enough ballast to offset the buoyancy of your exposure suit. I'll assume a shell dry suit with medium weight undies on a normal sized person, typically that results in about 20-24 lbs of buoyancy.

If you need to be 22 lbs negative, after adding enough ballast to get your 24 lbs suit neutral than you need 22+24 = 46 lbs of total ballast. Your tanks are close to neutral, so they don't contribute much ballast, and even with dual regs (~5 lbs) and tank bands and manifolds (~5lbs) can light (~3lbs) and a Stainless steel back plate and harness (~6 lbs) you will still be far short of the required total of 46 lbs. An al plate just makes this shortfall greater.

Again assuming your suit is +24 and your tanks are near neutral when empty your rig will be at most about 39-40 negative withfull tanks, if all your additional required ballast is placed in a weight belt. Your rig might be as much as -50 if you add ballast to the rig (v weights, etc.)

On the other hand if you plan to use this gear in warm water, then your exposure suit will be much less buoyant and you will need less ballast and less wing lift. That's what makes me question an al back plate with a 60 lbs wing.

Tobin

PerroneFord:
A 60# lift wing is regularly used in our area to dive twin steels larger than 15l, multiple stages, and decompression gas, along with reels, and other equipment. My personal setup is tanks that are about 15l in size along with an AL80 stage, reel, spools, tools in my pockets, etc. Even when carrying that load in a wetsuit, the 60# wing (and 55# Oxycheq wing) offered more than enough lift.
Fully agree. I dive double steel 120s, with an AL80 and an AL40 as deco bottles, reels, snips, etc., AND a SS backplate, and find a 55# wing (Halcyon or Oxycheq) to be more than sufficient, in salt or fresh water. Tobin provides a good quantitative analysis of why. Certainly, it is your choice regarding brands to limit your selection to. You may wish to give some thought to wing size, though. I do like my OMS BP/W as well, but I don't find it to necessarily be any better, stronger, or more durable than the H or Oxycheq.

cool_hardware52:
There are certainly applications for 60 lbs lift wings, and also for Aluminum back plates, but to use the two together would be an unusual choice.
So you are suggesting yousing a steel plate instead of aliminium? yes, I will be diving with 15L steels which 232bar in a dry suit. I've decided with halcyon or oms as I have access to it and can actually try it on before I buy.

Advokat:
So you are suggesting yousing a steel plate instead of aliminium? yes, I will be diving with 15L steels which 232bar in a dry suit. I've decided with halcyon or oms as I have access to it and can actually try it on before I buy.

I'm suggesting that you take a hard look at what your real weighting and lift requirements are before buying any gear.

In doubles you need be negative by the weight of your back gas + a few lbs. If you are carrying 245 cu ft of gas you have about 20 lbs of gas. You determine how buoyant you are in just your dry suit, but if my assumptions are correct you will be at least 20 lbs positive. That means you will need ~42 lbs of total ballast.

If you need ~42 lbs of total ballast, and will have to add lead to your rig, and to your weight belt what is the benefit of using a lightweight plate?

Tobin

Mandy3206:
Get the OMS, a lot stronger gear and better meterials IMO

:confused: :confused: :confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom