Halcyon vs ScubaPro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kray_Z

Reaction score
The SPG. Any real difference? The halcyon is a bit more expensive but i have been told that many people like the halcyon.... what are your thoughts/advantages of spending more on something... worth it?

I own both, but they do the exact same thing. The H one is a bit prettier, but does it matter?

www.soggydiving.com sells a cheap/good SPG. Simple and pracitical are the best attributes to an SPG.

Kray_Z:
The SPG. Any real difference? The halcyon is a bit more expensive but i have been told that many people like the halcyon.... what are your thoughts/advantages of spending more on something... worth it?
The SPGs you can buy from Halcyon, TDL, Salvo, and Soggy are all exactly the same SPG. The only difference is the name on the bezel.

Check out their respective web sites and purchase the one that you can get for the best price ... I guarantee it won't be the Halcyon ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm surprised Halcyon hasn't added a dollar sign into their logo. Like this Ha$cyon. It would be very correct. No slam on Halcyon i own a ton of it, just way overpriced.

Scuba Brian:
I'm surprised Halcyon hasn't added a dollar sign into their logo. Like this Ha$cyon. It would be very correct. No slam on Halcyon i own a ton of it, just way overpriced.

maybe should spell that Hal$yon :wink:

I'm Halcyon Fans, I have pressure gauge, love it so much...tip top quality
Halcyon-SPG_bar-profile.jpg

NWGratefulDiver:
The SPGs you can buy from Halcyon, TDL, Salvo, and Soggy are all exactly the same SPG. The only difference is the name on the bezel.

Check out their respective web sites and purchase the one that you can get for the best price ... I guarantee it won't be the Halcyon ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
While I have vast respect for Bob's experience, I'm going to disagree with him here, on account of he's such a young spry guy and I'm a pre-geezer.

At 5-th D I took a Halcyon gauge (1.5") and the larger one, 2" no-logo face, the manufacturer is irrelevant - as Bob says, most are made in the same factory by one of only a couple companies - into the dark room where they work on regs. (Bob is likely real familiar with this room!) Charging the face of both SPGs using a flashlight, I held them both out at arm's length and tried to read them in the dark.

The Halcyon gauge has this humongus H in the middle of the gauge, which - duh - is dark - it obscures the needle. The other gauge has the entire face glowing - so you can read the needle easily. Plus, the larger gauge had larger numbers - which my eyes were able to read off the luminesence of the gauge itself. The Halcyon numbers were so small I could not read them.

So...depending on your eyes, all gauges may not be the same. I liked the larger 2" gauge because I could read it easier under less than perfect conditions. One day you may be real interested in what that gauge reads with silt in the water or low ambient light...

(I own two of Soggys and they are clear face, large numbers, and easy to read also...FWIW)

Your mileage may most definitely vary..... :wink:

I like the larger Halcyon (or Clone) gauge for back gas; and I like the small Scuba Pros for deco/stage bottles, if you can find them. (I think Cressi Sub makes an equilivent though)

Chris

Back
Top Bottom