Halcyon wing worth the extra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't dove an Oxycheq wing, but own two DSS and one Halcyon Wing. I absolutely love the H wing for stability and ease of gas dumping. I would like to eventually swap them all out to Halcyon.

Interesting. I have done one week in a Halcyon doubles wing, and I didn't like it. The inflator valve, as I understand it, is specifically designed to limit the speed with which the wing can inflate. I can see this as a kind of safety measure, but since no other wing I had dived filled that slowly, I found my "muscle memory" of how long I needed to hold the button to get neutral was quite off, and that resulted in a couple of embarrassing moments. I suppose one would get used to it, but I'll stick to my DSS. I do think the quality of H gear is very good -- it's just that, as with DUI, I've never been convinced that there is enough extra value to make the price worth it.

I don't like Oxycheq customer service. At all.

...I don't like Oxycheq customer service. At all.

Unfortunately I have had the same poor experience with their customer service. I hope our experiences are the exception not the norm. There seem to be a number of satisfied customers out there.

I have had very good customer service from DSS and from Halcyon.

I did a quicky search for a single place with Tobins wing sizing info came up with info spread across a dozen threads. Rather than trying to send you a bunch of links I suggest searching for "Tobin wing drysuit lift" and following through the threads that come up.

Edit: Added the words "I hope" to the sentence "our experiences are the exception and not the norm."

Last edited:
I was talking to a group of DIR divers on Sunday on a dive site. They all pretty much have H stuff. One of them recommended H wing over others. I have been using Oxy 40lb single wing myself. Honestly, I think its shape is much better than the H Eclipse 40lb. The Oxy is narrower and taco much less. Have that said, I have never use a H wing. I won't know what I missed. I figured all these DIR/GUE Tech divers should have a logical reason to spend more $$ for the H wing.

Just reference, Oxycheq Vertex signature series $288 vs Halcyon's $465. I am really leaning toward the Oxy.
I have an H brand 40lb doubles wing and use an Oxycheq Mach V 40lb for singles. The Oxycheq sure feels heavier duty. For singles I am extremely happy with my Oxycheq and wouldn't want anything else, and I need the 40lber. Never had a problem with one of my wings failing, but Oxycheq does have horrible customer service. I have a horseshoe Oxycheq doubles wing for sale, that I am willing to make a good deal on, if anyone is interested.

H makes good gear but their prices are high. I have 2 but I hear great things about the Hollis wings.
Sent from my Windowd Phone using Board Express

I haven't dove an Oxycheq wing, but own two DSS and one Halcyon Wing. I absolutely love the H wing for stability and ease of gas dumping. I would like to eventually swap them all out to Halcyon.

Single for double setup? Is it because of its shape, dump valve location??

I am new to double so can't comment. But for single wing, it seems H is actually at the bottom of these 3. It is entirely the wrong shape to start with (bigger on top, narrower on bottom). The other 2 are opposite, providing more lift on hip area instead of diver's head. The H is also the widest so taco the most.

...But for single wing, it seems H is actually at the bottom of these 3. It is entirely the wrong shape to start with (bigger on top, narrower on bottom).

I used to own a Halcyon single tank wing and never had an issue with the center of lift shifting inappropriately. I was pretty happy with it up until a deck hand punctured it :(

Single for double setup? Is it because of its shape, dump valve location??

I am new to double so can't comment. But for single wing, it seems H is actually at the bottom of these 3. It is entirely the wrong shape to start with (bigger on top, narrower on bottom). The other 2 are opposite, providing more lift on hip area instead of diver's head. The H is also the widest so taco the most.

I agree with you on single wing. Oxycheq's is really low profile compared to DSS and H. It appears to be the toughest too.

I am also in the market for a double wing. My fundie instructor recommended me to get the H. I didn't get a chance to ask why tho. But I found the price is a bit hard to swallow.

I have two H wings, a 36# and a 55#. I've been happy with both. I recently dove a 38# HOG wing which I didn't like as much (dump felt low), but the backplate wasn't adjusted right for me so it wasn't really a fair shot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom