Halcyon Wings - Pioneer vs. Eclipse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

countryboy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I would like to hear opinions on the Pioneer 27# wing versus the Eclipse 30#?

I currently have a dive rite bp/w system. This one will be for my wife.. switching from jacket bc..

The reason I am looking at the Halcyon wings... the dive shop we are taking a class with is a dealer for Halcyon. Given the service / support I have seen so far, I will give them the sale given a competitive price.. (w/in ~$50.00 - $75.00 over other shops/internet).

With this being said.. Is the Eclipse worth the $70.00 - $80.00 difference in price over the Pioneer?

Thank you in advance..

P.S. The DSS, Hammerhead, and Oxy items have not been ruled out thus far.. This may end up being a hybrid system.. Still shopping.

I like my Pioneer (36), but if i were to do it over again, I'd get the Eclipse. The Pioneer is a great wing, but the extra durability of the Eclipse is worth the extra cash.

Between the Pioneer and the Eclipse, I have heard time and time again to go for the Eclipse. A large reason is the inner bladder. (replacement outer covers are a lot cheaper then a full Pioneer wing if you hit a snag)

Have you thought about the Evolve 40#? Especially if there is ever a chance to go doubles.

Hope this helps.

Faced with the same decision I went with the pioneer. I just don't see myself taking this rig into a situation where the durability will be an issue.

I plan on doing some travelling and the pioneer folds up a bit more compact, which was a decision factor along with the price.

Eventually I would like to get into wreck penetrations, at which point I'll be investing in a doubles rig and continuing to use the pioneer for single tank dives.

HTH. :)

Bjorn

sEANx32:
Between the Pioneer and the Eclipse, I have heard time and time again to go for the Eclipse. A large reason is the inner bladder. (replacement outer covers are a lot cheaper then a full Pioneer wing if you hit a snag)

Have you thought about the Evolve 40#? Especially if there is ever a chance to go doubles.

Hope this helps.

I purchased the DR Rec wing.. Which has the capabilities for single / doubles use.. Seeing as this is for my wife, and there is *little* chance (at this time) for her to get into doubles.. I am looking for a single specific wing. This will allow her to experience the BP/W difference (our instructor is loaning one to her for the class) and so far she likes the fit, but has not yet experienced under water.

.. and this will allow me to compare the single specific wing to the Dive-Rite Rec wing.

Thanks to all who have responded so far....

i prefer the pioneer. easier to travel with and plenty tough. if you plan on doing a lot of wreck diving including penetrations with a single tank the eclipse may be better. but even then, a situation where a pioneer would really tear and lose all its air will be rare and even then it is still manageable. more likely is a puncture hole with slow loss of air. dealing with that type of mishap underwater is no biggie and fixing it with aquaseal is a piece of cake, too.

Durability + you get the tank strapped in a stable STA = chose Eclipse.

I've been a very happy Eclipse diver for a year/60 dives!

Definitely the 30# eclipse. The pioneer is being discontinued right now.

countryboy:
I would like to hear opinions on the Pioneer 27# wing versus the Eclipse 30#?

I currently have a dive rite bp/w system. This one will be for my wife.. switching from jacket bc..

The reason I am looking at the Halcyon wings... the dive shop we are taking a class with is a dealer for Halcyon. Given the service / support I have seen so far, I will give them the sale given a competitive price.. (w/in ~$50.00 - $75.00 over other shops/internet).

With this being said.. Is the Eclipse worth the $70.00 - $80.00 difference in price over the Pioneer?

Thank you in advance..

P.S. The DSS, Hammerhead, and Oxy items have not been ruled out thus far.. This may end up being a hybrid system.. Still shopping.

Eclipse 30lb. Yes, it's a bit more, but it's available at your LDS and it's more durable.

Does the pioneer pack up a tad smaller, sure, but not enough to notice. The backplate itself is bigger than the wing packed up. You can only make the BP/W setup so small because the plate isn't getting any smaller.

I like the durabilty of the Eclipse not because of danger in the water, but out of the water. How many times has an idiot knocked something against your gear? Set gear on top of yours? When you travel, gear rubs when its packed away nicely, so imagine what happens when the TSA opens your bag and does not repack everything nicely. Nothing better that having metal rub your wing for 4,500 miles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom