Halcyon, Xdeep, OMS, Audaxpro, Aquatec, DGX - value & longevity?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It might be if you are looking to save on weight. You can even get it with aluminum hardware rather than stainless steel. The STA and the cinch system are molded into the pro version of the carbon fiber plate so that saves weight and space when packing. However, you are going to need to carry more lead since it is about 5 pounds lighter than a stainless steel plate with a STA. The plate can be used on doubles. They are very cool looking too. However, I think they are more expensive but check out the prices and what they are including with each system.
Thanks. It’s actually only $25 more than the infinity:

adventurer Pro (some places call it Adventure Pro or Adventurer Plus) - $1150 3.2 kg weight (doesn't require STA)
Infinity
- $1125 4.5kg weight

Thanks. It’s actually only $25 more than the infinity:

adventurer Pro (some places call it Adventure Pro or Adventurer Plus) - $1150 3.2 kg weight (doesn't require STA)
Infinity
- $1125 4.5kg weight
Basically the same price. I thought the Adventurer was more. Maybe they don't include the ACB pockets? Good luck on your decision. If you have questions feel free to private message and I will try to help. I am partial to a stainless steel plate. I like just having to put only 4 pounds of lead in trim pockets for salt water.

If you have an acquaintance selling his halcyon gear (I.e. you know that the gear was taken care off), their wings hold very well in value and you’d probably sell it back at a close same price to the price bought it after a few years of usage.

Basically the same price. I thought the Adventurer was more. Maybe they don't include the ACB pockets? Good luck on your decision. If you have questions feel free to private message and I will try to help. I am partial to a stainless steel plate. I like just having to put only 4 pounds of lead in trim pockets for salt water.
Thanks Joe. I will let you know what I end up with. Unfortunately I couldn’t make the appointment to get the rental last night because of work, so will have to try to rent some other time or just suck it up and buy it outright. Stainless and not having to use as much weight sounds good but isn’t it more flexible to just add weight to the trim pockets if you need, and save on weight when you need to travel? Also I still wonder about the need for “ditchable weight”. I can get away with using only 8 pounds with a 3mm suit.

If you have an acquaintance selling his halcyon gear (I.e. you know that the gear was taken care off), their wings hold very well in value and you’d probably sell it back at a close same price to the price bought it after a few years of usage.
Thanks, I wish I knew of an acquaintance that was, I’m just getting back into diving and making friends every week, but have been scouring the local ads and eBay equivalents, no luck yet but keeping an eye out!

Thanks Joe. I will let you know what I end up with. Unfortunately I couldn’t make the appointment to get the rental last night because of work, so will have to try to rent some other time or just suck it up and buy it outright. Stainless and not having to use as much weight sounds good but isn’t it more flexible to just add weight to the trim pockets if you need, and save on weight when you need to travel? Also I still wonder about the need for “ditchable weight”. I can get away with using only 8 pounds with a 3mm suit.
I opted for SS because I wanted the extra weight when diving in colder water. Also SS is virtually indestructible. That said I do wish I had a CF plate when traveling. Lugging my gear bag would be a lot easier!

Yes, you can get trim pockets and put the weight in them. That is what I do. I have attached a link showing how to weight a light single tank system.

You do not need detachable weight. You need to setup a balanced rig. You would only need ditchable weight if you couldn't achieve the balance; ie diving a heavy wetsuit, hood and gloves. In that case, the better option would be to get a drysuit.

I opted for SS because I wanted the extra weight when diving in colder water. Also SS is virtually indestructible. That said I do wish I had a CF plate when traveling. Lugging my gear bag would be a lot easier!

Yes, you can get trim pockets and put the weight in them. That is what I do. I have attached a link showing how to weight a light single tank system.

You do not need detachable weight. You need to setup a balanced rig. You would only need ditchable weight if you couldn't achieve the balance; ie diving a heavy wetsuit, hood and gloves. In that case, the better option would be to get a drysuit.

Thanks for the link Joe! I actually ended up renting a HOG SS backplate wing setup today, as it was what the shop had, but they took off the crotch strap for some reason and I just couldn't get it to fit tight enough on me underwater, and it would shift around. I was able to achieve good horizontal trim at times with it, but it was not an ideal intro to backplate/wings... Also i was way overweighted wearing a shorty with 4 kilos plus whatever the SS backplate and STA weighed. Hopefully I get to rent the Halcyon next time, or just buy it for my next dives.

Thanks for the link Joe! I actually ended up renting a HOG SS backplate wing setup today, as it was what the shop had, but they took off the crotch strap for some reason and I just couldn't get it to fit tight enough on me underwater, and it would shift around. I was able to achieve good horizontal trim at times with it, but it was not an ideal intro to backplate/wings... Also i was way overweighted wearing a shorty with 4 kilos plus whatever the SS backplate and STA weighed. Hopefully I get to rent the Halcyon next time, or just buy it for my next dives.
Yeah, you need the crotch strap. That is about 16 pounds of weight; yikes. I would try to rent the Halcyon next time so you are sure what you want. Maybe they can let you try one out in a pool.

Yeah, you need the crotch strap. That is about 16 pounds of weight; yikes. I would try to rent the Halcyon next time so you are sure what you want. Maybe they can let you try one out in a pool.
Yes, I was thinking I would need the crotch strap also but they said cinching up the other straps it would be ok…problem was I couldn’t cinch it tight enough. They also said Halcyon is more for tech divers. The other shop that I wanted to rent the Halcyon from does cater to tech divers.

I don’t know about weight saving in practical sense. I was bored many years ago and measure every piece of my dive gears. If you search here, you can find it. Here is a few items

1. Al STA: 110g/0.24lb
2. CF STA: 89g/0.20lb
3. Ti STA: 180g/0.40lb

They are all the same shape, design, and thickness. So difference is material density. I don’t have CF or Ti plate l, but let me use AL plate as reference

Halcyon regular size plate: 1.45lb (advertised 2lb). A CF plate will be 1.17kb. 0.28lb or127g saving.

If one really need to saving weight, first ditch all the padding from Infiniti. Way more than 0.28lb. Then ditch the ACB weight pocket, use a weight belt at destination. And use a light way luggage instead of those large dive gear roller case.

One more note. As much as CF is strong under certain load, it is not good against aberrations or abrasions, it is mine or stress dive gear see a lot. Sure if you like CF, buy CF, just want yo point out in practice, it does very little for bp/w beside cool factor

Back
Top Bottom