Half Turned Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Made the mistake of thinking the valve was on since I remembered that I was the last to touch it. Jumped in, took a breath and then huh? Luckly I was able to reach back and switch on the valve when I was still on the surface.

I now make it a point to recheck all my valves and pressure before putting on my gear and also be able to reach for the valve during the dive.

SangP

Thalassamania:
If I remember right, older valves could jam if not turned back
You haven't really lived until you get one jammed on so that the valve stem fails before you can get it off the stop. It's an interesting problem from there on, involving draining the tank through your reg - for starters.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
You haven't really lived until you get one jammed on so that the valve stem fails before you can get it off the stop. It's an interesting problem from there on, involving draining the tank through your reg - for starters.
Rick
Never happened to me. I always backed the valve off 1/2 turn. Religiously<G>.

Sasquatch:
Glad it wasn't a huge deal. Right, if diving just a single and this happened at depth there might have been some gray hair produced.

BTDT. Identical circumstances, only around dive #20 for me, hadn't done valve drills yet, reg basically quit at 60 fsw, so went OOA.

I do 1/4 turn back for *my* valves because I don't want them to be jammed on for valve drills. If I wind up manipulating anyone else's valves I always fully open it, so that if I screw up and fully close it they'll find out about it really quick...

Glad everything worked out ok!!!

I dive H valves on my singles and so far the DM's on all the boats I dive have come over to tell me that they would NOT be checking my gear - which is a comfort - its nice if I only have myself to blame.

I also do valve drills shortly after the big splash.

I have had problems with folks stopping me from leaving the boat as they see my redundent inflator hose stuck inbetween my bp/wing on the right side and they assume its the primary and that I somehow managed to get it under my shoulder harness and fouled on the right side. One would hope that a diver would feel that hose back there on their own if that were the case...but at least they are looking for problems...

My live-aboard experiences have been good. I use their tanks and so far all of those DM's have been top notch. It is their gear I hope they would know how it all works.

Thalassamania:
Never happened to me. I always backed the valve off 1/2 turn. Religiously<G>.
Me too. Indeed, the most recent instance of the jammed on/stripped valve I saw was one of the "modern" ones that's not supposed to let that happen. Having seen it, I know better, & always make sure it's off the stop a quarter to half turn.
Rick

I too was taught (in 1993) to back the valve off 1/2 a turn and I still do it religiously. In fact, the habit is so incrusted in me that i do the same thing with the grill propane tank or any other tank :D

If I remember, the reason was that if you check if it's on and the knob doesn't move, then it means the tank is closed. I always tought it was a bad way to verify it and double checked with the spg test (as previously mentionned) or by reaching it.

I had never heard of the valve jaming before. How does it jam?

Packhorse:
This way of testing your valve by looking at your spg while using your reg will not work with an air intergrated comp.

It does with mine.....it will drop to 100psi then go back up.

TheRedHead:
I really hate the giant stride with the sunglasses. :wink:

Ha!!! Mask, Sunglasses whats the difference ehy?

I have SeaVision goggles that are tinted. My sunglasses are tinted too. The only problem lies in clearing one of them

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom