Hammerhead Backplate - Built-in-Handles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are the handles useful for donning the rig by lifting it up and over your head?

awap:

The best way to do that is to reach thru the harness past your elbows and grab the cylinder... grabbing the plate won't work.

Stephen Ash:
The best way to do that is to reach thru the harness past your elbows and grab the cylinder... grabbing the plate won't work.

In fact, it'll huuuuuuurrrrrrrrrttttt !!!

the Kraken

The handles are also a good conversation starter. There are times (tankless) I'll carry it by the hndle and times I'll use the strap. It's nice to have but it's far from useful and given the option of selecting again, I'd go with the version without the handles.

Stephen Ash:

I'm pretty sure I grab my plate (no handles) when I do that, but I could well be wrong. I'll have to check again on Thursday. No sense in wasting sick leave.

The handles are usefull in the way that they lighten the plate a bit.

If you need a plate lighter than 6# but heavier than 2#, those handles in the plates are usefull.

I have the Hammerhead plate without the handles. When I ordered it, I could not justify getting the handles on mine. The harness is always attached to the plate, so why would you need any more places to pick up your rig? I honestly think I would never use them. Also, if I recall correctly, I think the guys at Hammerhead said that most plates they sell don't have the handles, but don't quote me on that.

awap:

I can't imagine to lift 130 tank over my head....:wink:

I used to put my tank on this way when I dived out of inflatables. The tanks were just aluminum 80s and after I got everyone else geared up, I didn't have a lot of time to mess with getting a bc on the conventional way. It was 2 seconds to thread my arms through, throw the tank up, slap it against my back, and roll out of the boat.
I had an old Seaquest bc that lent itself well to the over-the-head method. The problem was that then the other guys in the boat had to start doing it that way, and then we had some problems.
When I ran commercial charters, sometimes I'd get some cowboy who had watched a little too much "Sea Hunt" try and sling his tank on John Wayne-style. After I damnnear got my skull fractured when one guy lost his grip, that was the end of that.
Anyone doing this maneuver with a steel tank is crazy - too much momentary torque on the back. One little muscle goes the wrong way or you mess up a nerve and *blammo* - no back.
Normal diving with all this heavy gear is taking enough of a toll on people's backs these days now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom