Hammerhead vs. Freedom Plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishmunger

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, So I've spent the last few days searching and reading all the previous threads regarding the pros/cons of the hammerhead and freedom plates. I've decided that I want to get one, but only one cuz I'm a college student without much money.

Basically, I'm trying to take an ultra-minamalist approach to diving here in the cool waters of So Cal. I have my own boat (a 20' Panga), and I will be doing most of my diving in and around Santa Barbara and the Channel Islands. I'm going to be wearing 7mm, and most of my dives will be really shallow, less than 30 feet, in the thick of the kelp looking for lobsters and such. I want something that is ultra-rugged, basic, and compact. Right now I have to wear 18 lbs to dive with my LP95, so I'm leaning toward the Hammerhead SS plate with SS STA. I figure with that, I'd only wind up with 4 or 6 lbs on my belt. I don't plan on using a wing, (although I may down the road with more $$). I think I will just dive it bare bones.

With that in mind, which plate do you think would be better for me? I'm really up in the air since I've read so many good things about both, just nothing particularly related to my type of diving.

btw, I've never bought a plate before so this will be new for me. I'm also 6'0" 170 lbs. I've got pretty narrow waist and big shoulders/chest if that makes any difference.

Thanks guys,

Nate

I wouldn't recommend diving without a bladder of some type! NO way to make yourself neutrally bouyant is just asking for trouble. COnsider something, the bladders (used) in your areas are easy to find and cheap, look around and ask around. As for the backplate, I own two hammerheads and an OMS, I see not much difference from the two other than the weight of a hammerhaed in combination with their STA is almost 12 pounds off the belt. THere is a lot of differing opinions reagarding backplates, but I think it comes with experience and trying them out for yourself. The only drawback to the Hammerhaed is the holes drilled are for 5/16 bolts (which come on the STA) but some other plates use 3/8" (OMS). PLease look around for a bladder, you will appreciate it once you start diving with it, it will also serve you well over your diving for the coming year(s).

Karl.
PS I dive a drysuit and sometimes a 7mm wetsuit here in Canada in some of the coldest diving around. THe bouyancy you will need eventually!!!

It is easy and simple to dive without a "bladder" and I do it all the time and it is easy to do so and be neutral and I might remind people that we did this for decades before there were a such thing as a "bladder" or a BC. However, with a drysuit, your in an area I know little about, might follow the advice given.

I might recommend the DSS plate over a Hammerhead for single use because it is lower profile.

FreedomPlate with Mach V:
DSCF0213.jpg

Hammerhead with Mach V:

DSCF0274.jpg

Dive Rite modified STA vs Hammerhead two piece:

DSCF0253.jpg

N

thanks for the pics Nemrod! I think you guys maybe a little confused as to my goals though. I will NOT be using a drysuit, and my dives are going to be in 10-25' of water, where buoyancy change shouldn't be all that ideal. I don't see a need for a bladder, cuz when I use one, I never seem to put any air in it anyways. Besides, I will start the dive neutral, and have ~4 lbs of ditchable weight on my belt, so I'm not worried about not being able to get back up...I did a thread a few weeks back on bc vs. bc-less and I understand the pros/cons...

sooo back to the original topic, which Plate would be best for what I want to do?

Nemrod, you seem to prefer the Freedom the best? Could you maybe tell me how it feels different underwater, etc...?

thanks,

nate

Anyone else using these plates wanna chime in?

I love diving without a BC, it is truely 3D. It is somewhat a lost art but this is how we were taught in the 60s (OK, 1968 ish and I was a little boy but I tried). I still dive without a BC and one of the things I like abut the BP/wing set up and especialy a sleek wing like the Mach V ( or the little DSS wing and I am sure the little DiveRite feel similar but I cannot say) is that it feels like I have nothing but a simple harness. I also strive to put no air in the wing--none.

The Freedom Plate just feels locked in and sleek--but---I want you to know now that I have nothing against the Hammerhead or the low profile DSS type plate.

You might consider a traditional SeaHunt harness, this one made by a friend of mine.It is not clear but this harness uses modern cambands (ScubaPro) and therefore can accept a variety of tank diameters. He calls it a travel harness because it rolls up and almost fits in a pocket. perfect for tropical diving such as Bonaire and other beach diving locales.

DSCF0221.jpg

Vintage triple on a SeaHunt harness.

DSCF0201.jpg

When diving without a BC we always used a surface float, board or today a kayak or of course a boat. Carry a safety sausage as well.

N

Nemrod, I think the Freedom may be what I'm looking for. I definitely want a backplate, to get some of that weight off my belt.
Is your freedom the "II" or the original, and what makes them different?
I saw a past thread where someone bolted a wedge weight onto their freedom plate, I think something like that might work good for me...
Also, have you been using 1 camband with it or 2?
As far as wing attachment, do you think the wing "fits" better on the freedom over the others?>>Although I don't plan on using a wing right away, at some point (when I have more $$) I very well might...

thanks Nemrod,

Nate

There are two Freedom Plates available. The Freedom II plate Nemrod posted above is not on Eric's website yet, but the original Freedom Plate is. I would recommend calling Eric, and asking him to explain why his plate works so well. He can and will take the time to help in any way possible. He designed the plate to do just what you are talking about, being minimalistic. Eric is an avid hunter also, and explained to me that is much of the reason he designed the plate the way he did.

I dive the original Freedom plate, with a rock solid, welded on tank stand. Either plate can have it welded on. I am perfectly happy with the Oxycheq Signature Series wing. The rumor mill says the Mach V will eventually have a double cam slot version available (Yes you want two cam bands). The main difference between the plates is how much the plate wraps around the sides. I like the way mine hugs me. A 4.5 lb lead wedge can be added to the Freedom Plate if you desire, but without a bladder please make sure you have enough ditchable weight.
backplate_weight_138.jpg

Eric's contact info is available on his website, http://www.pacificcoastmarine.net/index.htm

wow that looks pretty sweet. I am definitely giving him a call. You mentioned that you had it welded on, so I'm assuming he typically supplies them bolted-on instead?
Also, what # wing are you using on yours?

thanks,

Nate

Eric, welds them on for you, and he is against bolting them. Nothing to fail that way. Most everyone I have seen is welded on. Only with a non cam band wing does he use an STA, which according to him, he hates. He wants the tank as close to the body as possible.

I use a 30# wing. I recently picked up a Freedom Plate II for my gal, and we had talked about getting the Mach V for me and giving her the Signature series wing, but wound up getting another Signature Series wing. Not knocking the Mach V wing, it is just not for us.

One of the things I like about the Freedom Plate with the Mach V is that the minimal plate does not interfere with full inflation of the Mach V. No problem there unless your using tanks over 8.0 diameter. This wing was clearly designed around normal 7.25 tank diameters for a sleek rig. Huge tanks--yep---you might need another wing and BP. I generally pay close attention to weighting myself so that I rarely need more than a blip or two of air in my wing,on the surface it floats me high'n'dry--lol.

I think the Freedom Plate can be had with a bolt on STA adapter--best to discuss specifics of an application with Eric who makes the plates.

The Freedom Plate I am sure will work with numerous small wings, not just the Mach V.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom