hand assisted back kick?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bodiee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know the use of the hands is to all intents a no-no in scuba diving but I have been questioning the logic of not using hands whilst back finning (reverse finning). Its not that I find back finning difficult as I normally dive twinsets and am trying do "do it right". Given the type of conditions I dive in and the type of diving I do, I find that using my hands in a sculling type motion adds greatly to my ability to position myself accurately and increases the reverse speed x2. I am not directing this at those who might be using their hands to hold equipment etc but to those who have been trained to not use hands for propulsion ie., most of us.

I can think of several reasons why swimming with your hands is discouraged. For one thing, if you are using lights for communication, swimming with your hands will drive your team crazy. For another, it's difficult to swim with your hands and not silt. For a third, swimming with your hands is inefficient and burns up a lot of gas.

I'm not above pushing back from something with one finger, just to get the back kick started, even though I know that's not good practice, either. But once I've gotten going, my back kick moves me pretty well. I've never felt the need to use my hands once I'm moving.

Does someone have a good resource for learning to back kick? I can stop myself just fine, and inch backwards, but moving "pretty well" seems to elude me.

II find that using my hands in a sculling type motion adds greatly to my ability to position myself accurately and increases the reverse speed x2.

Unless you have fins on your arms, sculling your hands in doubles isn't going to move you much at all, let alone double your speed.

Does someone have a good resource for learning to back kick? I can stop myself just fine, and inch backwards, but moving "pretty well" seems to elude me.

A fundamentals class will make it happen, or at the very least give you all the tools you need to make it happen in short order.

And one more thing...

Practice, practice, practice!!!

Don't stop with only a few attempts. Take your gear, get in a comfortable trim, and give it some time. You'll find that once you get the "feel" of the correct motion, you'll move quite well.

What is the correct motion? You can find several examples on the web, but after you get a good mental picture, go down and implement it. If you're going backward without skewing about and/or ascending/descending, it is most likely the correct motion (or close enough to start).

Or better, if you've got a friend who is accomplished at the skill, ask them to observe. It could save quite a bit of time if he/she sees what you're doing versus what you think you're doing. Then he/she could show you the difference.

My husband found the best way to learn the back kick was to start in a pool, without any gear except a mask and snorkel. He had had some instruction on how the kick was done, and studied the videos. Then he got in the pool and tried to back kick. It didn't take very long to figure it out, and he swam laps backwards. Then he did the same thing with fins on, until he could swim laps backwards. Then he put on his gear and went diving, and presto! Back kick.

It took me about six months of practice before mine was that solid. I recommend the pool method.

The biggest annoyance to me when people use their hands is that their light flashes around heaps. Drives me MAD. That is a big enough reason for me to wish everyone knew backkick even without the other benefits it provides.

And during the day where I might not have a light, I have my arms folded, as it is the most comfortable position for me as well as it keeps me warmer :) So I really would hate to have to uncross my arms any time I want to move backwards.

Also using my hands does not seem to be anywhere near as effective as a backkick as far as propulsion.

On occassion I have used something to push myself off if it isn't going to damage anything, but that's just me being lazy, there's no need for it if I was not so lazy.

Edit: actually there have been a few occassions where back kick has not been appropriate to move backwards, but they are rare, for me at least. Examples are mainly when I have been inside a wreck and there has been surge pushing me into things. Then I'll use my hands to grab onto things to slow me down or to slow down impact into something.

Last edited:
What about doing it squid style? Take the regulator out of the mouth and exhale hard to form a jet?

I kid, I kid.

"Hand assisted back kick": your buddy grabbing your crotch-strap from behind to help pull you back out of a dead-end corridor in a wreck. . .:rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom