Hand signals for remaining air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the idea of just simply showing the gauge/computer and pointing at the object you're talking about, i.e. depth, or air, etc. this way you know exactly what they're talking about...

If you're using a console computer, it can be quite difficult for somebody else to read it, unless they get right up on top of you. That's one of the reasons I prefer analog SPGs, but my husband dives a Cobra. I can't read it unless I can hold it in my hand.

As texdiveguy said, the important thing is to _talk_ about this in the predive. In the end, it doesn't matter what you use as long as everyone is on the same page.

Don't forget to include tank size. When I'm diving with a buddy with a LP 95 while I'm using an AL80, it really is about more than pressure :)

It's interesting how when you dive with people a lot you stop asking them how much they have remaining. I did two dives with a good buddy of mine and I never had to ask him (other than what his starting pressure was in the parking lot). At any time during the dive I can estimate his remaining within 100 psi consistently. Though perhaps not asking any more is just a sign of complacency...

We use one-handed numbers, but I would give one bit of instruction regardless of signaling method: Don't slur, *pop* the signals.

If you were signaling something that included "2-4", throw the "2" with your hand like you're a mime slapping an invisible wall. Then pull your hand back, closing it as you do. Only then can you throw the "4". Exaggerate the motions and stops/spaces, and you'll rarely be misread or have to repeat yourself.

The other thing we've adopted is that numbers are meaningless without context. As a rule, the numbers must be immediately prefixed by what they're describing. "Depth-3-0", "Pressure-1-5", or "Time-7", whenever we use a number, we know exactly what's being communicated.

Also, since numbers are meaningless without a prefix, if we see a number without a prefix, we have no choice but to reject it and ask for a repeat. This keeps us from having the "signaled 1500, saw 500" issue. We've never had a problem with attention wandering mid-signal, so making certain the beginning was caught is the important part (assuming you pop the signals and don't slur "2-4-0-0" into "200? or maybe 400? er... 300, maybe?"). Requiring a prefix is no panacea, but it's a simple protocol that seems to significantly improve signaling reliability.

I simply use finger for 1-5 (hand facing towards buddy), 6-9 using fingers with back of hand facing buddy and then normal signal for zero. So 1700 would be 1 finger with rest of closed fingers and palm facing buddy, close 2 fingers out and back of hand with rest of fingers closed towards buddy, then zero, zero.

I use this same method....but I do use zero as needed such as in compass headings or other number combo's were the zero is important.
Zero is a fist during your hand signal motions

Zero is a fist during your hand signal motions

It may be to you....but for me a 'zero' is a zero made with the fingers forming a distinctive 'O'.

A 'fist' can mean several different things depending on the protocols in place at the time of the dive.

Woops wrong thread

Averyone finds their own system the easiest. Thats why you need to talk about it before the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom