Hand signals for remaining no-decompression Time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajo007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Do any of you know of recognized hand signals for remaining no-decompression time, or if there isn’t one, do you have any suggestions for a clear hand signal requesting your buddy to signal remaining time. The reason I ask is that I’m afraid my better half do not really bother with decompression time, I can't assume what she has left as she dives with air and I dive with nitrox.

I can tell you what my signals are, I can't say that they are standard, but seem to be fairly evident to me.

Tap your wrist (like your watch/computer), signal # of minutes remaining on the fingers.

Me and my wife have this - if I point to the palm of my hand and tap, then give me your pressure. If I do the same, but on the back of my hand, then give me your NDL time left. We use the tap the watch/wrist with two fingers to ask how much time is left on the dive on "be back on the boat in 60 minutes" dives.

Same for me, just tap on your computer. If you get a confused look from anybody, don't be afraid to go over and physically look at it for yourself. When the limit gets low, you can tap your computer, then signal up with your thumb followed by waving your hand side to side with the palm down to signal "nearing deco, go up a little and level off".

left hand horizontal, palm down, right thumb up under left palm (ascend and level off) followed by number (fingers) new depth. I suppose my running short on gas precludes ndl time.

To Ask:

1) Signal "Question"
2) Signal "Decompression"

end%20dive%20signals.jpg

To Answer:
1) Signal Number
2) Signal to indicate if it is no-deco (horizontal/raising, flat hand cutting motion), or deco time (see above - raise little finger)

scuba_signs_numbers.jpg

Some good articles/information on hand signals for advanced (tech/cave) diving:

http://oceanopportunity.com/attachments/ArticleHandSignals.pdf

http://www.swiss-cave-diving.ch/PDF-dateien/cavediving-signals.pdf

Me and my wife have this - if I point to the palm of my hand and tap, then give me your pressure. If I do the same, but on the back of my hand, then give me your NDL time left. We use the tap the watch/wrist with two fingers to ask how much time is left on the dive on "be back on the boat in 60 minutes" dives.

We normally agree on the tap-the-watch/wrist as meaning "Give me the maximum time remaining on this dive according to your computer" - so it is the smallest of NDL, Dive Time and also air time remaining. Ie on a signal to PC check, check NDL, Dive time and SPG. If the SPG appears to be the limiting factor, reply with check air signal and number - basically saying "Got plenty of NDL and dive time... air is the problem".

If I was after specifics, then I would use "?" and "What's your Deco". If it was an agreed upon NDL dive - any number would be seen as remaining NDL. If there is a deco ceiling, the response we normally use is left hand horizontal, palm down, then right hand thumbing the dive into the palm of the hand (Ascend with ceiling) and the amount to ascend - after all the dive has ended as one of the divers is in Deco - against our plan.

For safety stop, I have always used left hand horizontal, palm down followed by a three on the right hand pressing into the palm ("the 3min safety ceiling")

As long as you and your buddy/team agree on signals before you dive, it is all academic.

Back
Top Bottom