Hand signals for tank pressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ciki

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I am fairly new to diving (7 dives) and I wonder what are the standards of communicationg air pressure in tank to your buddy. I tried using different methods and also showing the pressure gauge to my buddy, which worked. I'd like to learn the proper signals to use in communication with advanced divers not to feel embarrassed when they don't get what I signal. :wink: Thanks.

ciki:
Hi, I am fairly new to diving (7 dives) and I wonder what are the standards of communicationg air pressure in tank to your buddy. I tried using different methods and also showing the pressure gauge to my buddy, which worked. I'd like to learn the proper signals to use in communication with advanced divers not to feel embarrassed when they don't get what I signal. :wink: Thanks.
"Proper" is what works for you and your buddy.
Personally, I use the "one handed" method of vertical fingers held apart for digits 1-5 and horizontal fingers held together for 6-9, and a circle of thumb and fingers for zero. To show 1700 psi, for example, I'd first hold up one finger vertically, then two together horizontally. I use one handed signals so I can shine a light held in the other hand on the signal.
Rick

It is pretty much standard to flash your 5 fingers to indicate every 500 pounds. So if you had 1500 you would open and extend all five fingers then close and repeat 2 more times. If you have say 1700 you would flash 3 times and then flash 2 fingers for 1500 plus 200 pounds.

stangscuba98a:
It is pretty much standard to flash your 5 fingers to indicate every 500 pounds. So if you had 1500 you would open and extend all five fingers then close and repeat 2 more times. If you have say 1700 you would flash 3 times and then flash 2 fingers for 1500 plus 200 pounds.
this is by far the easiest to use and is accepted in every place I have ever dove.

stangscuba98a:
I'd say it's far from "standard". Have a look at this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=107343

Lots of different ways are discussed in that thread. The bottom line is go over it with your buddy before you splash.

stangscuba98a:
this is by far the easiest to use and is accepted in every place I have ever dove.
Hmmm... interesting perspective.
Using 1700 psi as an example, 4 hand signals is easier than 2???
If you're diving a new PST you may have, say 3200 psi. Using my method you'd show three fingers held vertically, then two and you're done. Using the "easiest and ... accepted every place" method you'd flash five fingers six times and then two... seven hand signals!
Be realistic, now, which system is (1) easier, and (2) less likely to be misread?
Bottom line is, as I said, what works within the team, but I don't think I'll be abandoning our system for something like that "six flashes of five" thingie any time soon :)
Rick

It is NOT the easiest to keep up with. I use Rick's method exclusively. I make sure my buddy uses it before we splash.

stangscuba98a:

Show them your spg. Or if you're feeling lazy: one digit at a time. Pinky out = 1 Pinky and ring finger = 2 etc. After 5 whip out your other hand and use two hands.

Or how my friends and I do it: (considering I usually have a camera in hand) keeping it on one hand. starting with pinky = 1 like before. Only once you get to 5 you start from the other side of your hand (index finger). Fist = 0

So: pinky out = 1 pinky and ring finger = 2 add middle finger = 3 add index finger = 4 all five out = 5 than thumb out = 6 index and thumb = 7 add middle to that = 8 and all four fingers (no pinky) = 9

But that's only used if you absolutely only have one hand available and your spg can't be shown (because they are too far away)

Hmmm, easier concept once you get it, I don't think I explained it all too well.

Rick Murchison:
Hmmm... interesting perspective.
Using 1700 psi as an example, 4 hand signals is easier than 2???
If you're diving a new PST you may have, say 3200 psi. Using my method you'd show three fingers held vertically, then two and you're done. Using the "easiest and ... accepted every place" method you'd flash five fingers six times and then two... seven hand signals!
Be realistic, now, which system is (1) easier, and (2) less likely to be misread?
Bottom line is, as I said, what works within the team, but I don't think I'll be abandoning our system for something like that "six flashes of five" thingie any time soon :)
Rick
Well in over 100 dive destinations the standard I am referring to is if you are diving off a boat or with a buddy the standard signal for over 1500 is an ok sign and they want to know how much by flashing your fingers to indicate remaining air below 1500, so if you are with a buddy who understands you really are indicating your air maybe twice during a dive........that said it comes down to your buddy and what is most comfortable.....all i was saying is diving off a boat they really don't want to know what you have until the halfway point of air remaining.

Dive safe........

Back
Top Bottom