Hand signals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

river_sand_bar:
Ok, and whats the one with "L" on the forehead??? cus I get that allot from my buddies...
I get told that I am "Number One" often

I think the "L" and holding up one finger are tems of endearment
Enjoy it, your friends love you!

Another source is "Scuba Divers Sign Language Manual" by James Smith and put out by Best Publishing. I don't see an ISBN on it... but it seems like a pretty useful set of communications tools. My wife and I have been adding more and more of them to our 'vocabulary' as time goes on...

... funny thing thought... the sign for "Love" that LavaSurfer refers do doesn't seem to be in there... so the set obviously ain't *totally complete*...

I must again recommend this book, published by NACD.

All one-handed signals.

Being deaf, my wife and I can both communicate in ASL. When we were doing our OW's, she was having some difficulty and I was able to calm her down and help her work through the problems underwater, as opposed to surfacing to explain what went wrong. In my mind, this is probably the best use of ASL underwater.

However, I would strongly recommend that people enroll in sign language classes, as just studying the individual signs does not give full benefit of the language and can be very confusing or just plain wrong if read in a book or viewed on the internet.

When diving, I've preferred to use the standard hand signals when possible in order to eliminate any confusion or bad habits, as I know I won't always be diving with the spouse. :)

I do have one tough habit to break - thumbs up, as in "you're doing great!" - good thing my wife knows i'm not *really* trying to thumb the dive. *grin*.

Some guy gave me the boat one, opening and closing, I thought it was for a clam, oh well.

rollerboi:
Being deaf, my wife and I can both communicate in ASL. When we were doing our OW's, she was having some difficulty and I was able to calm her down and help her work through the problems underwater, as opposed to surfacing to explain what went wrong. In my mind, this is probably the best use of ASL underwater.

Wow, it seems like you have a distinct advantage over us hearing divers! I would love to have the extended vocabulary under water. Do you have any suggestions on where to look for a beginner class?

i think hand signals should be universal!

once hubby took a lovely irish lass out diving... sometime during the dive the ladies took her left hand and with her thumb and forefinger made the "O" for ok and with her right hand forefinger she proceeded to point it thru the O back in and out and in and out and in and out

my hubby was a bit :shocked:, especially when she did it a few more times after that

once they were out of the water and in the carpark the young lass explained it was her hand signal for a swimthrus :wink:

hubby also has taught people that were deaf and once in the water they were having conversations while he was looking at them feeling totally left out (and envious)

almitywife:
i think hand signals should be universal!

It would be nice, but it just aint that way. Interestingly enough American Sign Language is more closely related to French Sign Language than it is to British. I don't have a clue how they sign in Australia, Darlin'.

Walter:
Check your local adult education classes through the school board.
Yup. My university offers classes both credited and noncredit (as Continuing Education). My biggest recommendation is to take it from a deaf person if possible. :)

Take it with your dive buddy, if you've got a regular one. It's good (and necessary) practice out of class. :)

Also, pay particular attention to the use of classifiers (hand shapes) in ASL, as these will probably come more in handy for SCUBA than an extended vocabulary will.

Back
Top Bottom