Hand signals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This site http://www.seasigns.com/ is a great source. I actually took a $50 class on it and it teaches you about 120 basic signals. Once you learn the signs you take a test as well as practice them for about 1 hour underwater (both translating and demonstrating them). The lady that developed them learned ASL because her daughter is deaf and they always communicated that way underwater. After many inquires over the years she developed this system (which is based some off of ASL and uses ASL rules for the creation of some of the new signs). It is very easy to use and you would be amazed at how much more you can communicate. Many of the signs are very intuitive which lends to their ease of learning.

The "L" sign is common for Leader - it means you lead. Some times people will also just put a straight hand (thumb to forehead pinkie out) to indicate "chief".. again.. leader. The "boat" one someone noted earlier.. if you repeatedly open and close the hands, that is clam, scallop....

The "dive signals" link noted earlier is a really good one... You will pick up a few, but I find noting some common ones help beforehend.. for example, I forgot to show my wife what I use for turtle and ray before going to Jamaica and sure enough I saw a turtle.. I kept trying to communicate it to her, but she had NO idea - mind you she had 6 dives under her belt at the time, but I just know the turtle would have made her smile... oh well.. live and learn..

almitywife:
my hubby was a bit :shocked:, especially when she did it a few more times after that

once they were out of the water and in the carpark the young lass explained it was her hand signal for a swimthrus :wink:

At least some hand signals are sort of universal! It might not translate from Ireland to Australia, but it translates from Australia to the US! :rofl3: :rofl3:

almitywife:
once hubby took a lovely irish lass out diving... sometime during the dive the ladies took her left hand and with her thumb and forefinger made the "O" for ok and with her right hand forefinger she proceeded to point it thru the O back in and out and in and out and in and out

my hubby was a bit :shocked:, especially when she did it a few more times after that
As I mentioned above, impromptu ad hoc signals work pretty well when the context of the situation is taken into account. Just how well does you hubby know the lass? :banana:

monica.kraj:
Guba and scuba70, thanks for the very useful links!!! Nice revision of the OWD course and not only.

Does anybody have something similar for marine life, I mean hand signals indicating specific fish? Like for example the L over the head :D

Aint that a dork fish?? hehehe :D

In tread #10 back in Aug. of 2007 Monica.kraj asked if anyone knew of hand signals indicating specific fish (indicating a halo over your head for a Queen Angle). I too would like to know, somebody step up. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom