Hand signals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The sea slug signal from the posted chart is the one we use for nudis.

Most of the people we've been with in Coz use some kind of hand signals especially if the DM does them as part of the dive briefing.

Scorpion fish? Our DM just couldn't see it. I had a sola light on me so it made it easy to point out to my wife, who showed it to the DM, several times, then everyone else. I bet propjoe has a pic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

An important one to know is....... I'M PEEING... STAY AWAY!!! It is done like the old Lawn Sprinkler Dance from the 80's. Here I am demonstrating the proper technique.
Remember, there are three kinds of divers. Those that pee, the ones that lie about peeing, and those sick F*#!$ that get close to you while you're peeing.
:rain:
IMG_5130.jpg

robint, many newer divrrs haven't seen an arrow crab or even ever looked at one closely enough to notice its beautiful blue claws. I like to show fellow divers small things through my magnifying glass.

If other divers have had arrow crabs pointed out to them before they still may not yet have made the link with the corkscrew anemone. Just the other day, I saw a corkscrew anemone right out full in the sand and of course a lovely arrow crab sitting peacefully right in the middle, just as I turned, the anemone slipped itself halfway back under a small rocky outcrop, just the way I more commonly spy them. I was delighted and so was the dm.

Perhaps you are hohum over such minor events but I'm not and neither is everyone else. How are we to know once underwater that you aren't interested?

And Greg, I generally don't care to have another Caribbean lobster pointed out to me but I don't know what the pointer may spy next. Ergo I'll still be taking a little interest in what's pointed out to me, unless it's lobster, lobster, lobster.

I shan't ever tire of seeing juvenile drums dance.

OK back to signaling. I do my best but many vacation divers don't know all signals. As others have said before me, I also try to show that it's wee or grande and under a ledge. I'm also often completely inverted with finger pointing and within mere inches of the wee subject.

I'm with Chilly...even if I can't figure out (see) what's being pointed out to me, I'll still try to figure it out. I dunno... I can't quite wrap my noggin around why it bothers someone that someone else is trying to show them something exciting to them, but not in the specific way we think they should. Now...if you don't want to hear banging and shaking...that I get! Sorry Marc! I'll brush up on my signals for next trip :cool2:

A good DM will discuss this on the dive briefing. And then after the first dive more discussion follows. Sharky mentions the ones I've been taught and know. Esp the Lionfish - mimicking its spines.

The pee one... I don't know... that's your specialty... Cmulvaney :shocked2:

The book Scubasigns lists many hand signals. Unfortunately, not every species nown to man is listed.

I don't dive to look at animals just like I don't walk in the forest to look for critters. It drive me nuts for a tank banger to draw me over to look at some tiny shrimp.

Geology is my interest.

Reggie in Midland, NC

The book Scubasigns lists many hand signals. Unfortunately, not every species nown to man is listed.

Maybe we need a Volume II...:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom