Hand Signals???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Windknot

Contributor
Reaction score
A while back, Rodales has a chairity auction and one of the things up for bid was a set of flash cards for hand signals.

Does anyone know where one could get those?

Also, why (other than American Sign Language) is there no recorded "STANDARD" hand signal for diving? everyone seems to have a different set?

Just wondering, watching the snow....wishing....YA KNOW?

Windknot,

Cave divers have a pretty standardized set of hand signals -- mainly because misinterpreting a signal in a cave might cost you your life. Check out "Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving" by the GUE (www.gue.com), or the NSS-CDS Cavern or Cave manuals for a list of the signals. They both include pictures.

If you have questions about a signal for a particular thing, feel free to ask.

- Warren

There is a particularly good little book, "Cave Diving Communications," by Joe Prosser and H.V. Grey, available from NSS-CDS or from Best Publishing.
http://www.bestpub.com/bookstore2.asp?Category=Cave/CavernDiving
Covers hand signals, light signals, line markers, touch contact, slates, reels, even sound...
Rick :)

Originally posted by Windknot
Also, why (other than American Sign Language) is there no recorded "STANDARD" hand signal for diving? everyone seems to have a different set?

Windknot,

I saw that your looking for "flashcards". I havent really looked, but offhand I don't know of any. I would bet they probably exist somewhere.

DAN (Divers Alert Network) does put out a spiral bound hardcover book called "Scuba Divers Sign Language Manual". I have not personally viewed this manual so Im not sure how it compares to other agencies standard signals, but DAN is certainly one of the most respected organizations in the world of diving.

Here is a verbatim description of the manual as listed in the April 2002 issue of "Alert Diver" magazine:

Scuba Divers Sign Language Manual
This illustrated sign manual for scuba divers not only provides a visual record of underwater communication but also shows why the signs are made to help the reader remember them. By James P. Smith. 103 pgs; hardcover; 1994
Order 401-6000---Only $13 US

Hand signals are standardized for certain commonly communicated procedures, and many reference books will have drawings depicting various signals. Signs for ascend, descend, out of air, having a problem, ok, and others are essentially standard.

But just like American Sign Language, you will invent certain signals that meet your specific needs. I taught a sailing lesson to a deaf couple. My finger spelling was too slow, so we just invented certain signs. So long as you and your buddy are on the same page, it works.

BTW, when I got to dive with that same couple, I realized how useful ASL could be. They asked questions, and I spelled out answers --- s-l-o-w-l-y.

Silly me...
In my rush to answer the standardization question I overlooked the flash card question.
Aren't Flash Cards a little redundant here? Why not just flash the hand signal itself? The actual signal is more realistic - indeed real - than a drawing on a card and you kill two birds with one stone by practicing the signals while flashing them.
Rick :)

Rick,

Problem was I've just got the 'BASIC' up, down, OOA et al signs. Was looking to expand my 'vocabulary'. I cant expand it till I know what the sign is:rolleyes:. I've just got lots of time to kill in the winter and am always looking for ways to improve my preparedness.

My best pick for a (regular) buddy lives about 2 hours away so communication might be a little slow just flashing the signs. Ive got little hands...I dont know if he'll see them:wink:

Not to mention, I throw the wrong dive sign and the homeboys may come back and do a Dive-by....:eek: GET IT? DIVE BY?

God, I kill myself....

Thanks to the others for the book suggestions. I'll look 'em up.

-WK

I should mention that the standardized cave diving hand signals, designed as they are for a dark environment where one hand is occupied supporting a light, are one handed signals. Some of the signals in OW books are two handed.
For my money [and taking a page from the DIR book] I'd like to see everyone standardize on the cave diving signals - they work in open water in the daytime, in wrecks and at night, too.
Rick

If you get a book, you might want to make sure your buddy gets the same one. I have the DAN book and it is quite good (in my opinion). Sign language is best practiced either with someone or in front of a mirror. The signs look a little different from the "back" (the side you see when you give it) than they do from the "front" (the side your buddy sees). You have to be able to see the "front" of the sign so you will recognize it when it is given to you. Naturally if you and your buddy learn the signs separately you will get to see the "front" of the signs when you do your pre-dive hand signal review. It's just kinda nice to already have an idea about what the sign looks like and you can get that from your practice in front of a mirror.

Just my .02!
Ber :bunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom