Hand Signals???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been working on expanding my own hand signals. It is true, It is important to go over hand signals before a dive. different groups have their own. If you are diving with a new group, your signals may be very different.

I would have to agree with Rich that keeping the signals to one hand is important. One hand may be holding a light or anchor line.

A very good book is "Hand Signals for Scuba Diving" by NACD Books at NACD Online Store

But you will find that developing some of your own will be neccessary.

Can I just ask one simple question? I'm not sure which of the many books might have answers to this one, and I don't have the cash on me to buy them all. :wink:

How do you signal "temperature"?

That was the only word that we didn't seem to have a good signal for last weekend. We made up something on the spot (a bit of a kludge, actually, but it worked for the day), but if anyone has a signal, I'd be interested in hearing it described.

We were using it for things like, "My temperature 55? Yours?" and "temperature level" (meaning thermocline).

OK I give up, three pages and nobody remembered SEA SIGNS!
Actually, this is only the first page (you *are* reading at 50 posts per page, aren't you :wink:), but regardless, SeaSigns were mentioned in both post 15 and post 20 (nine and four posts prior to yours, respectively).

You didn't think we'd miss them, did you? :D

Thanks to all for your recommendations on this subject. Have been wondering about this myself.

Actually, this is only the first page (you *are* reading at 50 posts per page, aren't you :wink:), but regardless, SeaSigns were mentioned in both post 15 and post 20 (nine and four posts prior to yours, respectively).

You didn't think we'd miss them, did you? :D

Boy, I sure did! I guess I need to quit scanning while working. I feel much better now. Thanks for the dope slap! :D

Is there a SeaSigns instructor in the Phoenix area? I'd be interested in taking a class and I think I can get two or three or more others to sign up. PM me or just post the answer here for others to see.

Steve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom