Handicapped Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KCIREVAM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Handicapped diver. I had a hip replacement and can not do a figure 4 to don and don off 1 fin. I use Force Fins. I could use some suggestions. Especially when I don off, when returning 2 the boat. I can not take the fin off of my bad hip side with boots.

It's why God gave us buddies.
Dive with me, I'll handle the fin donning & doffing for ye.
Rick :)

I like 2 B as independent as I can. Thanks 4 the help.

KCIREVAM:
I like 2 B as independent as I can. Thanks 4 the help.
I plan to stay independent in the water until my kids refuse to dump me in any more :)
For now, I'm finding it easier and easier to accept assistance with things that used to be easy to do without help; more and more value in a helpful buddy.
Rick

What Murchison said and don't feel like it's a disability. I am senior citizen with arthritis and have much the same problem. If someone is willing to take my fins and tank off while I am still in the water I'd be tempted to give them a big, sloppy kiss rather than feel un-independent about it. (Look at "Key DIves" down Islamorada.)

I am in need of a hip replacement on the left (lupus and med. related), and I can't get my left leg up into a cross legged position either. I found, though, that I can bend my leg up like I'm trying to stand on one leg and reach behind me to get the clasp undone. I don't bother with loosening the strap, I just unclip and go.

Granted, I haven't tried this in a current so I don't know if a current might rip the now unhooked fin off, but in a quarry it does just dandy. Usually, my buddy beats me to it and gets the left one for me. :D

I'm also a senior citizen, just got my advanced C card I'm still new 2 diving and this is my first question with ScubaBoard. Thanks 4 all the input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom