Handling money in Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverken374

Contributor
Reaction score
2.5 hrs north of Toronto, Ont., Canada/Cozumel
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So I am spending about seven weeks in Indonesia starting in October 2017. This is a mainly a dive trip both land and several liveaboards. While most of the trip is prepaid I still need cash for some of the trip. I do not want to carry a lot of cash with me so I was wanting to know what others do in this situation? I will need mostly Indonesian rupiah. ATM's, bank machines, credit cards? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah, ATM for cash. Credit cards are good for settling hotel/resort/liveaboard bills, but not good for just day to day transactions on the street or if you're eating out.

I am always hesitant to use ATM's. Any concerns or tips for using ATM's in Indonesia?
Why? Just be mindful of who is around you much like you would do at home. Most ATM's are outside a bank branch, and if you use during the bank's opening hours, there is armed security outside the bank. Perfectly safe. I generally use BRI or BNI for taking cash out, but that's just because they seem to be most prevalent. I've never had any issues. Just make sure your bank at home knows in advance that you are going to Indonesia so they don't put a block on your card when you try to use it overseas.

Why? Just be mindful of who is around you much like you would do at home. Most ATM's are outside a bank branch, and if you use during the bank's opening hours, there is armed security outside the bank. Perfectly safe. I generally use BRI or BNI for taking cash out, but that's just because they seem to be most prevalent. I've never had any issues. Just make sure your bank at home knows in advance that you are going to Indonesia so they don't put a block on your card when you try to use it overseas.

I am just generally hesitant to use ATM's even back home. Good advice and I will get another credit card as a backup and of course let the bank and credit card companies know as well.. Perhaps worry more than I need to!

I am just generally hesitant to use ATM's even back home. Good advice and I will get another credit card as a backup and of course let the bank and credit card companies know as well.. Perhaps worry more than I need to!
The majority of Indo isn't nearly as dangerous or third world as some people make it out to be. If you're sticking to the well trodden tourist paths, don't stress so much :)

I use credit cards for big things, USD in 100 dollar bills for tips on LOB and rupiah for everything else. Make sure you have enough Rupiah for excess baggage fees at the airport. Just get used to carrying lots of money(as in bills) because rupiahs take up a ton of room... especially considering their largest bill is the 100,000 which is only approx. $7.50 USD! Good thing is most things in Indonesia are fairly inexpensive so it goes a long way.

Bank Central Asia (BCA) is also good to use.

I would STRONGLY encourage you to never use an ATM in a store. On our last trip to Bali both my wife's and my cards were hacked. We were very careful to check for skimmers, we were told the internals of the ATMs were compromised. Luckily for us the hacks started on our last day, but even then it was a major PITA to get things sorted out

Back
Top Bottom