Hard case for traveling with photogear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Issue

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi.

Im going to Egypt in december and Scotland next year. I need a hard case for my diving photo equipment.

As all flightcompanys have different checkin/handluggage rules and i am not even sure what companys i will be traveling with(probably british airways and tomas cook) i cant count on bringing my gear as hand luggage.

I have a mirrrorless sony a6500 with nauticam house and strobes, videolights, arms etc.

Have been looking at Pelicase 1560 and 1605. Do you think this will fit all gear and protect it while checked in?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Peli-1605-...qid=1497222275&sr=1-1&keywords=peli+case+1605

Happy for all advice. Let me know how you would travle with the gear!

Pelican are probably as good as it gets these days, unless the Haliburton classic aluminum cases are still available. There are also metal "equipment" cases still used professionally, in many sizes. Won't be cheaper or lighter than the Pelican's though.

Each airline has their own size limits, and what fits on one will be rejected on the next. If handles or wheels extend outside the case, that extra dimension also counts against the size, so a "plain" case buys you more usable space in carry-on. Pelican certainly will protect things in checked baggage as best they can be, but that also depends on who you cut the foam and pack the contents. I don't know the EU limits, but in the US camera gear and electronics may be excluded from the very limited amounts that are reimbursed if your checked luggage is lost. If you must check valuables (and any "good" case does say "Pilfer me, steal me!") then consider it essential to buy excess baggage value insurance and document the contents.

Classic Aluminum - Luggage Collection | ZERO HALLIBURTON

Still around but out of my price point.

Pelican or the competitors are pretty standard and nothing else I've come up with duplicates it exactly.... possibly a generic cooler. Crush resistant, can be sealed, and less theft attracting.

Otherwise pad your gear well, kiss it goodbye and go with semi rigid hard suitcases.

I'm interested in what else works well.

Cameron

Depending on your carry on situation you could line out a roll aboard with some foam and carry it on vs. letting the airline monkeys throw it around.

I travel alot with firearms and use Pelicans. Ive never had one fussed with and have never worried about the luggage jockeys breaking anything.

Thanks for all answers.

So, you would say camera, strobes, house, dome is safe checked in if i pack it well in a pelicase, or similar?

Camera might be most sensitive to hits? Might take it as handluggage.

Lens are the most unforgiving in my experience to shocks and drops.

You can do impressive things to a pelican case well padded system though. Anyone had equipment damaged? I've seen cases bounce from 4m and the cameras inside still happy.

That said.... I don't use pelican cases for travel due to the 'steal me' image I perceive it gives off.

Regards,
Cameron

I have an Olympus PEN 5 mirrorless, two strobes, Olympus housing. I have a Sony AR7 with two Canon lenses and binoculars and my 15 inch Mac Air. I pack all this gear plus rechargeable batteries and chargers in a wheeled tote size bag like this one Travelpro Maxlite® 4 - Rolling Tote (And, yes mine is purple)

It fits on every plane I have ever been on in the overhead. It will also fit under the seat. Now, weight is an issue. I try to figure out whether the airline is serious about weighing carryons. I have managed to be successful in getting the bag on every plane I've tried (and I've had exasperated agents who finally give up with my whining). It's not always easy and one day I'll fail. (If so, I'll pull out all the fragile gear and carry it on in my back pack.)

I really don't want to check my gear in a Pelican or aluminum case because it does scream "steal me!"

Thanks for answers!

Really Manneca? That small bag fits all that? Im impressed.

I understand that "cool" hardcases looks like bags of money or very expensive equpment but is stealing really that big issue on airports? I dont have much experience flying..

Thanks for answers!

Really Manneca? That small bag fits all that? Im impressed.

I understand that "cool" hardcases looks like bags of money or very expensive equpment but is stealing really that big issue on airports? I dont have much experience flying..

All the years Ive flown with Pelican cases Ive never had an issue. It doesnt mean that someone isnt watching it go around the carousel a half dozen times before helping themselves to your gear. That will happen no matter what your gear is in though.

Back
Top Bottom