Hardside roller vs rolling duffle need some opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SandyUT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all, I have read through quite a few other threads, but they didn't quite hit what I am looking for.

I have been through 2 Armour bags in 4 years and I am moving on. (been through = didn't survive a trip well enough to be used on another).

I am considering a hardside Samsonite 28" or 30" F'lite. (right size, right price, but never used hard luggage).
the 28" is the right volume, but my fins are 27" long. If anyone has one of these, what is the inside dimension on the long side.
Or an
REI softside rolling luggage, wheely Beast or tech Beast. (great return policy, but I don't want to need to use it, and real big)

I would like to hear;
-if anyone has gone from soft luggage to hard, if you thought it was a good move.
-if anyone has had a bad experience with hard luggage - especially Samsonite.
-how big is too big? The rolling soft sides run really huge and I will blow past the 50lb limit or drag around a half empty bag.
-old bag was roughly 5500 cu in. the 28" hardside is about that. the REI bags push 7000+

I do not want a scuba branded bag.

Many thanks.

WoW, you went through 2 Armour Bags? I've had mine for almost 6 years now and still looks like new. But anyway.... I have a couple of the Samsonite roll arounds and thought about using one on them for my dive gear, but never did. It would work, but I think the way it's laid out, there's more room in my soft sided Armour dive bag. I have big fins also (Cressi Master Frogs) and they have to be criss-crossed just to get them to fit in my Samsonite suit case. So they take up a lot of space that way. A hard sided roll around is nice with the 4 rollers on the bottom, really easy to "drive" around. You need to make sure you have a mesh bag that will fit all of your gear so you can use it once you get where you're going. Space is tight on the dive boats with a normal dive bag, but with a hard sided suitcase.......even more so. Hard sided is nice and easy to wheel around, but you will need to make sure you have enuff space & weight to carry as mesh bag as well. I've had my Samsonite hard sided for years & years. (can't remember how long) Just got the latch repaired again 2 weeks ago. (but for free) I believe they still come with a 10 year warranty. If you're going to go with a regular suitcase, just take one of your fins with you when you go check it out. See if it will fit. good luck!

I have one of the Akona bags and have not been impressed at all. My next purchase will be one of the LL Bean rolling duffles. Have a buddy who has one that has been diving all over the world and he loves it.

Rolling Adventure Duffle, Extra-Large: Duffle Bags at L.L.Bean

I have an Aqualung 850 roller bag after having a semi solid side roller bag torn up on my way back from Malaysia. The metal rigid sides were bent every which way. The 850 is large enough to hold a entire set of equipment,plus some clothes. It is light weight,... at about 8# it leaves more weight for what you pack. The big plus,.. it has a full lifetime warranty,... even if the airlines tear it up. If I have a fragile item, I wrap it up inside a wetsuit & put it in the middle of the bag to help protect it.

I re-read a bunch of the older posts and many people use regular luggage as well.
I like the idea of hard luggage, but the sizes are not ideal.

I ordered a tech Beast from REI (I like the bag, but I fear its too big), and I ordered a high sierra 28 in roller. My wife has a smaller HS roller and its just about bomb proof. She sits on it (seriously) to close it and it still holding up. She packs heavier than you can imagine.

I will evaluate the two again each other and see of I can get happy with one.

I sent my dive bag (from a major manufacturer) in for service. That bag was seven years old and cost $300. I had a trip to Roatan coming up and needed a bag so I went to my local Costco warehouse and picked up a large rolling duffle made by "Ful." It was approximately $40. It has two large compartments and looks pretty rugged. I was able to fit lots of stuff in it and had no problems. At this point, I don't think I'll buy another dive bag. Even if it only lasts a couple of trips, it's still worth it.

I have done both, the roller duffel simply is lighter and allows more gear with the 50lb limit imposed by the airlines. I find 30" the perfect size for gear. With duffel bags (and most suit cases) I pay extra attention to the zippers as they are most likely component to fail. A couple of colored cargo straps protects against this and makes my bag unique to avoid someone else grabbing my bag in error.

I just went with the 31" Samsonite F'lite Spinner myself. It's $151 shipped at eBags right now, and is perfect for what I was looking for! I think hardside is the safer bet during transit, and then pack a smaller mesh style backpack duffel for transit to the boat when you arrive at your destination.

Back
Top Bottom