Harley-Davidson Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HarleyDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Open Water Harley Diving – OW-HD :
(MOD 60fsw)

First you have to deal with air for combustion.
Now a 95cubic inch engine sucks a lot of air. So I remove my saddle bags and strap-on 4 lp120’s. Then you pump them up to 3500 psi & get about 740’ of air. A custom built manifold hooks them all together. On this I have two Scubapro mk25’s feeding the air intake system. Basically you have to replace the air filter/ input with a custom modified demand regulator and link this to the fuel-injection system. I would like a Octo for redundancy, but haven’t solved the reg switching issue. (salt water does strange things to fuel-injection systems).
I find using EAN40 allows me to lean out the air to fuel ratio & get more bottom time. Minutes per foot is more of a restriction than miles per gallon.

Now on beach dives traction is the key.
I swap out my normal street tires for some radical motocross rubber and take to the sand. I have to watch out for monofilament, especially under bridges, don’t want to decapitate myself (think Steve McQueen/Great escape).

Now once I get to my site I have to leave the bike running to keep water from coming into the engine thru the exhaust pipes. I have a friend working on some one-way valves to let my exhaust out but keep sea-water out, but so far it only works to 25fsw.

So I put on my tank, ride the bike to the site, swim off & explore, then return to the bike & drive back to the beach. Simple huh?

But then there is “boat diving” …
You can drive the bike off the back of most decent dive boats, but you sink like a rock. I have made special straps to put two sets of 80# wings on each tank. Another goes behind the sissybar. A small raft modified with a typical BC type inflator/deflator hose goes under the frame. (this does effect ground clearance substantially). Two more wings on each the front forks pretty much gives me all the lift I need.

Now you think watching newbie’s learn buoyancy control is funny? You should have seen me try to master 13 wings & the raft, and keep the harley horizontal.
Finally I rigged up some custom inflator devices and routed everything to the left handle bar. One button controls the 9 rear wings, one for the raft, and one each for each pair of the fork wings (gotta watch that roll). I am getting pretty good at it now (video to follow).

Why the left (think clutch) handlebar you ask? Once you master neutral buoyancy the wheels are useless as is the clutch & gearshift. Basically the exhaust coming out of the rear will propel you forward. You leave the bike in neutral & just use the throttle to control the amount of exhaust. Now this would not work on the models that have both exhaust on the right, but it works fine on my Road King.

My only remaining problem to solve is getting back on the boat. I have tried to talk a couple of Captains into putting a small crane on the stern to lift me back on board, but no takers so far. So for now I am limited to drop-off the boat & drive back to shore or hire 4 local bouncers to come with us & haul the bike back on the boat.. This limits how far off-shore I can go without getting into “Advanced Open Water Harley Diving” AOW-HD

Advanced Open Water Harley Diving - AOW-HD
(MOD 130fsw)

Pressure related gear:
Once you start going deep you have to address another whole set of issues. Things on the bike that have air in them start getting compressed at depth. So now you need a depth-sensitive pressure regulator to keep extra air in the gas tank, the battery and of course the tires. It also has to release this extra air on assent. This is fed by a small hp80 mounted on the front fender.

On deep dives I also throw a hp120 pony on the back of the sissybar. I would hate to lose the bike cause I didn’t have enough air to drive back to the boat & inflate all those wings.

Other gear upgrades:
I also recommend replacing the headlight & running lights with new HID lights. Also since I rarely feel the need to change lanes under water, I take off the turn signals and install photographic strobes synced to the camera mounted right behind the windshield.
Yes, I leave the windshield on, otherwise when you drive into a current the pressure will press on your purge valve & free-flow your reg.

I also replace the speedometer with a good self-leveling compass and inertial guidance computer. If you are into spear fishing, you can mount a 6ft gun on each side. The back gets mounted to the saddle-bag guard and the front is attached to the engine guard. The trigger is within easy reach from the normal riding position, and with a little practice you can determine each guns trajectory & draw a targeting display on the windshield. Or if you have unlimited funds buy a surplus HUD (heads-up display).

And for those that always have to push the boundaries there is always the Extreme:

Do It Extreme Harley Diving - DIE-HD
(MOD-none)

Now if you really want to Do It Extreme, you have to add a side-car. This side car will also need a raft under it like the bike (see OW-HD). You fill the side-car with industrial size O2 & air tanks to run the engine. The simple 2 reg set-up from above is replaced by a auto-mixing regulator that feed the correct EAN mixture to the bike at whatever your depth. And no, you do not go with tri-mix, Harley’s are immune to DCS.
Also include a lp120 with air as an Emergency Assent Bottle.

Now that you have moved your engine gas to the side car, you have all the saddlebag area to set up your various breathing mixtures. You can have as many types of travel gas, deep gas, deco gas, suit argon, etc as you can mount. Of course we are really getting into long hose situations here and there are some very specific ways all these hoses must be run if you want to Do It Extreme. But you will have to take the DIE –Fundamentals class to get that information.

I always still keep a lp120 on my back with a at-depth mix so I can set my reef-hook and leave the bike idling, and explore a little.

Also make sure your deco bottles are slung so they can be removed easily. In case the Harley hits a OOA situation, you can fill the wings/rafts with air from the EAB and send the Harley to the surface while you remain at your required deco stop.

One favorite exercise for serious DIE divers is to replace the tips of the spear-gun with PETA approved dull barbless points, then chase down Great Whites, Hammerheads, Tigers, or some other real friendly shark, and give them a little shot.
Think of it as “tag, your it”.

Now, I am sure some guy with one of those “other” bikes is reading this & thinking I can make a DIE-(fill in make) out of my bike. Well forget about it. You will die, but still not be DIE. Besides, you will scare all the fish away. They don’t like the sound of rice burners any more than I do.

Epilogue:

If there is anyone at all I have not offended, I truly apologize. I’ll get to you in turn.
Remember, don’t try this at home boys & girls……

:eek:ut:

Man, that is one LONG post! lol.

HarleyDiver once bubbled...
On deep dives I also throw a hp120 pony on the back of the sissybar. I would hate to lose the bike cause I didn’t have enough air to drive back to the boat & inflate all those wings.

If you ran a hose from your exhaust pipes to the wings with a power inflate type button, you could use that to control your bouyancy better.

Actually, an even better solution would be to figure out how much lift it took to make the bike neutral, then attach sealed (non compressable tubes) with just slightly less lift to the bike. Then you would just have to add enough air to a small wing in order to make it neutral or slightly positive.

Proper positioning of these sealed tubes would allow you to trim the bike out better, and you might even be able to get them chromed so they could blend in with all the other accessories on the bike.

HarleyDiver once bubbled...
Harley’s are immune to DCS.

are you sure on this one? I could have sworn that I saw a harley sucking on the O2 bottle this afternoon, of course it could have been a Honda imitation, I wasn't close enough to see.

Cave diver, I like it. Maybe Chrome exausts from semi's would work??? Just seal the ends & fill with He.

Sucberd, are you sure it was O2??? was it in a brown paper bag?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom