harness style

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krispykritter

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I,am starting to put together my first bp&w set up. I've decided to get either the diverite basic or the deluxe harness. What makes the deluxe, deluxe? Is it more comfortable or is it easyer to adjust? I"am going to use a stainless steel backplate and dive it with a single tank. Also what is a good, compact wing for this setup?

Avoid the "de luxe" harness. Avoid any brand "de luxe" harness.

Unless you have extreme upper body mobility problems, they're of no added benefit. Yet, they cost more, are heavier and have - at least allegedly - additional "failure points."

The vast majority of BP/W users stick with the simple, tried and true Hog harness.

After all, isn't simplicity what a BP/W setup is all about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You asked the question in the Hogarthian section, so you're going to get a lot of recommendations for a simple, one-piece harness, such as the Dive Rite Basic. A common beginner mistake is to set it up with the shoulder straps too tight, making it hard to get in and out of. They don't need to be, as the crotch strap will snug things down. I use a Halcyon 30# Eclipse for single tank dives, but Deep Sea Supply and Oxycheq are also popular around here.

The deluxe version includes swivel points and a chest strap. Personally, I use the basic harness and have no complaints about it. Links with pictures for comparison are here:
Dive Rite Deluxe Harness @ Divers-Supply.com
Dive Rite Basic Harness @ Divers-Supply.com

As for wings, it really depends on the type of diving you will be doing. If you're leaning more towards just tropical, warm water diving, perhaps something in the 18-20 lb range. If you're looking into diving colder water (where you need more thermal protection, more weight, and consequently more lift) I would look for something in the 28-35 lb range.

Thats just what I need to know, keep it simple. As for my diving I dive in the lakes in AZ an socal I wear a 7mm wetsuit in the winters so I think I need a 30lbs or greater lift for the wing. This past weekend I dove Lake Mohave and it was 48 degrees, I see a dry suit in my future.

Most 'deluxe' or 'comfort' harnesses end up being re-sold on Ebay or Craigslist.

The terminology use is the clue. Any experienced BP&W diver knows that comfort isn't an issue... saying it is a 'comfort' harness is purely targeting the assumptions of BP&W noobies, who look at the metal backplate and imagine that it must be very uncomfortable to wear. As for 'deluxe'... the wording creates an impression that it is superior for some reason. 10 years in BP&Ws...and I can't fathom what is superior about it. The cost certainly isn't.

I stopped by my LDS and ordered a diverite basic harness, a diverite SS backplate and a hog 32# wing. A good start for my hogarthian set up.

I understand the hogarthian gear set up but as for the hose's I think a 7' hose will be overkill for my set up. I dive open water, single tanks no overheads or wrecks as of now. So I was thinking of a 5' hose for my pimary and of couse a short hose on a necklace for my octo. Is this a good option?

Nice choice of bp/w. That's the same setup I'm using. :wink:

As for the 5' vs 7' hose, I found the 5' hose to be a tad short for my liking. It routes under the armpit as opposed to under a can light or just tucked into the waist. Then again, I'm 6 ft with a kind of long neck so ymmv.

I first purchased a 5' hose. Turned around got a 7' a week later. Never looked back. Im 5'10"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom