Has any one been to the Garden Island Resort in fiji?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caseybird

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
I'd like to know if anyone as any experience at this resort? I would really like to know about the resort for the non-diver. Does it have any grounds? Is there anything to do on shore during te day?

Thanks,
Steve

I visited Garden Island Resort in July 2003 with a group of 11 divers and 1 non-diver. What a beautiful vacation destination, and I can not wait to make a return trip. The grounds are not extensive, but absolutely breath-taking with hibuscus and other native plants/birds. The pool/open air dining area was a gathering place for all the guests. There were board games and other means to pass the time with friends. The staff was incredible, they knew each guest by name after only a few hours after arrival. There were also many opportunities to see the island for the non-diver. A few of the side trips we explored when not diving were:
international dateline--short hike
natural rock waterslide--short hike to see the local children playing in the water.
Bouma falls tour--ride in vans across the island, and then hike as far as you wanted to view multiple falls. A must see for just the drive and view of the island.
tour of local village for shopping

The diving was just awesome on Rainbow Reef. There is also a chance for snorkeling, but we chose to don our scuba gear for the week.....

Have fun!

Thanks for your help.

I was in the resort for 4 nights in November 2006. It is a very pleasant place to be – staff is friendly and food is quite good. The “resort” is not big (don’t mistake it as the same animal as those in the Bahamas). There is a small pool (think kiddie pool). I have never seen anybody using it when I was there. There is no beach – there is an area with beach chairs for people to hang out. The resort does have organized tour during the day for rainforest walk, water falls, etc. A village/town is a short cab ride away. Not sure what the non-diver in your party likes to do – if they are active and adventurous, the surrounding areas can keep them busy. If they want Hawaii resort kind of day, this is not it. Evenings are low-key too. Watching sunset over a drink is the most enjoyable thing I did there after dive. Native dance and singing performances were presented on some nights, which I was not too crazy about. My dive buddy commented that the resort is more like a Motel 6 in U.S. in terms of infrastructure – but being transplanted to Fiji and the environment and staff elevate its status to a “resort”. I am not into too many frills of life when I dive - I loved the place and the diving there.

If you are not a diver there is little to do at this resort. The diving is very good if you can convince the dive operators to let you dive during the current and not at slack tide. Two very different dive experiences.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom