Has anybody heard about the ORISKANY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

savannahbell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was wondering if anybody has heard or seen from the Oriskany. I was ready an article in the December Dive Training Magazine and it sounded like the have taken the Oriskany back to Pensacola. I have not been able to locate anything else on this subject since that article. Thanks and Happy New Year.

EPA:
EPA will hold a public meeting on the Oriskany reefing draft approval at the Pensacola Junior College Hagler Auditorium, January 10, 2006, from 6:30 - 8:30 pm. The meeting will be preceded by an informal poster session at 5 p.m., where subject matter experts from the Navy and EPA will be available to answer questions about the project.

Nice find on the link timle looks like more will be known soon

Go to mbtdiversand check the forum..they will have the latest news as they keep a close eye on the "O" boat....they are really looking foward to getting it sunk....if they sink it as planned the btm will be at 212fsw the flight deck at around 130fsw and the island starting at around 60fsw..the island is big enough that it could be 2 or 3 dives...at around 900ft she is gonna be big if they ever get her sunk....
Yarg

Thanks everyone for the great links and the info. I know we are looking forward to the "O" being sunk. Hope the New Year brings lots of diving for everyone.

Read in the Pcola news journal today that they are hopeing to get it sunk by or on June 1 of '06. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

I went to the public hearing last night along with the owner of MBT dive shop and several other die hard divers. There were about 100 people there -- mostly divers. The EPA was very positive. I would say, based on what I heard, that the Oriskany will be down before summer. There are about 700 pounds of solid materials still on the ship that contain PCBs, but the EPA had to admit that they posed almost no risk to divers or the environment. They are mainly electrical cables that are armored in steel underneath which is the insulation. The PCBs are in the insulation, but because they are encased in armor, it will take centuries for it to leach out.

Anyway, hopefully she will be down by June.

That is very good to know. I dove with those guys at MBT last summer and was quite impressed. Great bunch of guys. I have the first half of June off anyway seems like a good reason to go back and visit family. Even better,a reason for my wife to get her advance cert..

willardj:
That is very good to know. I dove with those guys at MBT last summer and was quite impressed. Great bunch of guys. I have the first half of June off anyway seems like a good reason to go back and visit family. Even better,a reason for my wife to get her advance cert..

MBT is the only shop in town that does not treat people like idiots. They were the first to do nitrox and are the only place to get trimix.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom