Has anybody heard what happened to the inspiration diver.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry What meant was Tigerscubas reasoning for the word dangerous. I posted definition from. Websters College dictionary fourth edition. All the discussion over the word is quite meaningless its all personal opinions and While I disagree I do Respect yours. And yes I do know an individual who has personal knowledge of the above incident and expect him to post here when all info is complete and is known to be fact. Which is as it should be.

saturated once bubbled...
And yes I do know an individual who has personal knowledge of the above incident and expect him to post here when all info is complete and is known to be fact. Which is as it should be.

For that to happen they'd have to find the man and the RB. And by now, they wouldn't be able to get much information from the man. Medically that is...

Just like the definition said. Many things are dangerous, if your carefull you can do them safely... But they are still dangerous... That's what the definition is all about..

Doesn't just apply to diving....

Somebodies reasoning on a definition??? That doesn't make sense.... Unless you're trying to change the definition into what you believe...

You might have confused Danger and Dangerous by the definitions...

dictionary.com

dangerous

dan·ger·ous ( P ) Pronunciation Key (dnjr-s)
adj.
Involving or filled with danger; perilous.
likely to do harm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
danger·ous·ly adv.
danger·ous·ness n.

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
[Buy it]

P dangerous: log in for this definition of dangerous and other entries in Merriam-Webster Dictionary of Law, available only to Dictionary.com Premium members.

Source: Merriam-Webster Dictionary of Law, © 1996 Merriam-Webster, Inc.

dangerous

\Dan"ger*ous\, a. [OE., haughty, difficult, dangerous, fr. OF. dangereus, F. dangereux. See Danger.] 1. Attended or beset with danger; full of risk; perilous; hazardous; unsafe.

Our troops set forth to-morrow; stay with us; The ways are dangerous. --Shak.

It is dangerous to assert a negative. --Macaulay.

2. Causing danger; ready to do harm or injury.

If they incline to think you dangerous To less than gods. --Milton.

3. In a condition of danger, as from illness; threatened with death. [Colloq.] --Forby. Bartlett.

4. Hard to suit; difficult to please. [Obs.]

My wages ben full strait, and eke full small; My lord to me is hard and dangerous. --Chaucer.

5. Reserved; not affable. [Obs.] ``Of his speech dangerous.'' --Chaucer. -- Dan\"ger*ous*ly, adv. -- Dan\"ger*ous*ness, n.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

dangerous

adj 1: involving or causing danger or risk; liable to hurt or harm; "a dangerous criminal"; "a dangerous bridge"; "unemployment reached dangerous proportions" [syn: unsafe] [ant: safe] 2: causing fear or anxiety by threatening great harm; "a dangerous operation"; "a grave situation"; "a grave illness"; "grievous bodily harm"; "a serious wound"; "a serious turn of events"; "a severe case of pneumonia" [syn: grave, grievous, serious, severe]

Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISE WITH US

"dangerous"
Find relevant results on the Web now!
Sponsored Link

Diving is perilous, unsafe, likely to do harm or cause death, wow the odds are definately against me-better quit this perilous,unsafe hobby of mine that I've enjoyed for so many years. Thank you for showing me the path to dry land, your absolutely right diving is so very , unsafe , perilous and likely to cause death or injury.

We also need to explain why Tomas' 2 CC computers, and his Inspirations yellow cover were not on the dive with him as you'd expect

As for Dangerous, Life is dangerous, it has a 100% mortality rate. And statistics clearly show that staying at home is very dangerous. Its all relative to the risks you are prepared to take and the planning and actions you take to counter those risks. I think I read somewhere that 250 people in the US each year are killed or maimed in "Sofa" incidents. In the UK last year, more people where killed by bee sting than by Diving incident.

What is dangerous to one person may be a walk in the park to another. Some people think its an acceptable risk to jump out of a perfectly good airplane, I dont. I wont bungie jump, but I'll quite happily go out into the mountains in a snowstorrm or go cave diving.

Normally there is a concensus as to what most reasonably competant people deem to be aceptable risk and non acceptable risk in common activities. When it comes to less common acts like diving, then only those who have experiance and training can truly access the risks and make their own decisions. On some practices the jury is still out (like PO2 Limits), on others there is a general consensus from the majority (Solo diving carries a higher risk than diving in a buddy pair).

Generally with planning, training, practice and experiance you can make your diving as "safe" as you wish. That limit is different for everyone, and that Mverick is why everyone was defensive on your broad statements that "Diving is dangerous". You would have been better of stating that "YOU feel diving is dangerous" or "some dives are dangerous". Its then up to others to agree or dissagree. To force conclusions onto people and tell them what to believe is just "Irvinish"

Thats the one and only comment from me on "diving is dangerous"

I'm just going by facts now... Nothing I've seen has been published except that he's passed. That's where everyone went with me... If you remember...

Do you have proof he wasn't using his cover?

Do you have proof he didn't have his Cochran or VR3?

Like written published proof. Because as you'll pointed out to me. How can I trust you??? And I don't mean from the Inspiration boards. I mean the paper clippings? The Coast Guard Report?

Just jumping on everyone's bandwagon they jumped on me about. Cause I haven't seen anybody present evidence on anything...

And on the Definition of Dangerous. Well, It is a definition. Not an Interpretation.

Telling my girlfriend she looks fat in those jeans is Dangerous. Farting infront of a fire is Dangerous. Telling my supervisor he's an @#$%^#&@* is dangerous. Telling the IRS you cheat on your taxes is Dangerous. Jumping out of a perfectly good airplane is Dangerous. Racing motorcyles is Dangerous.

So yes, Diving is Dangerous is without a doubt using the word in it's proper context....

Just like the definition I posted.

And if you read the examples in saturateds post. They are exactly what I said..

It is dangerous to assert a negative. --Macaulay.
My wages ben full strait, and eke full small; My lord to me is hard and dangerous. --Chaucer.
"unemployment reached dangerous proportions"

All of these are from his post.

Dangerous is an all encomposing word. That's kinda the point...

I didn't say its Very Dangerous. I didn't say it's Deadly.

Diving has greater risks then sitting on the coach. If trained and your careful your fine. But Diving is Dangerous. It isn't sitting on the coach..

I'm not telling anybody what to believe. It's a definition. Cut and dry....

If something has an acceptable risk. It's dangerous... Dangerous doesn't mean you'll die.

Like I said. Read saturateds post and the examples they give. Pretty straight forward. Not his examples. The examples from the dictionary...

Fins wake on deaths was wrong. I know of ones that have been published that he didn't include. But you look it up. He's just saying what he knows. How do we know he isn't lying.

If you can question me. Well from you all's response you don't like it much either.... So let's see all of your proof.... I haven't seen anything from anybody.

About bashing, Saturated you jumped on the band wagon to bash me. Hadn't bashed you at all. Others spouted off and Yep, I'm gonna spout off too. You wanted some. You got some.. Your use of the word Dangerous is Wrong. Your interpretation per your own definitions is Wrong. Read the definitions and examples.

If you throw in some other things like skydiving, rappelling, motorcycles, skiing, racing, rescue diving, fire fighting, tank rescue, working in factories, etc etc...

All these I do. All have increased risks. Which make all of them Dangerous..

I was also told you couldn't buy a Inspiration without training. Yet, somebody on the board has. He's posted alot about it. And I was offered 3 of them new from 3 different shops overseas. But the person told me it couldn't be done. Because APD wouldn't allow it. Well, it can be done.

Also that APD knew everyone that was trained. Which from one post here was proven wrong. By the same person that told me that APD knew everyone that was trained.

Alot of Misinformation on the RB board.

I wish everyone here would post what they KNOW. And not what they THINK. That's what I try to do.

Sorry I dont mean to get in a pissing contest or to bash you maybe I did and my appologies. The reason I posted the three definitions was to show that there are even three different definitions in the pulishing of dictionaries. The meaning of the word is irrelavant, of dangerous means what you say it means. Even so not everyone will agree that diving is dangerous. Not everyone would agree that parachuting is dangerous. You should allow others to voice there opinions without jumping on them. You cant even get people to agree on what color the sky is half of the time. Everyone has different ideas about whats dangerous. I have a friend who is a crop duster, been doing it for 35 or 36 years, he doesnt think twice about it, but it scares me to death. I think its very dangerous, to him its all he knows and doubt he would describe it as dangerous.

You are absolutely right as to posting fact and not rumor on accident reports.

As to getting a rebreather without training. I dont believe that apd can be held reponsible if I buy a rebreather and sell it to you as an untrained diver. Seen them on ebay, not all that difficult. APD requires training to sell the unit to you, but cant control the actions of others who willingly jeopardize the unknowing. I think the person selling a breather should have to have proof of certs and training of the purchaser, if not their resopnsible.

I dont know your experience with breathers of the inspiration but I think if your were to at least take a fam class you may understand more about the way people view the incidents on the unit. If your in florida pm me and I'll gladly put you in the pool.

Please forgive me if I am not up with all of the intricacies of the current debate. From my very limited knowledge of this and many other debates, it always seems to boil down to the same thing. The criticism comes from people who don't use an Inspiration, and the just as vocal defence comes from people who use them. I have had mine for two years, and put it through a lot of diving, and some rather extreme situations. My own experience has been that there has never been a problem that I did not cause myself. They tend to work better if you turn on the oxygen tank, and at other times, they work even better if you actually turn the unit on. I have never seen the unit do anything to scare me. When there has been a problem, the weak link has been me. Even when I did forget to turn something on, it became very clear that there was something wrong. You do have to keep an eye on the handsets. I am not saying it is perfect, but I have never seen any sign of a problem. I think this may be a point. The people using them are probably experiencing much the same as I have. Therefore they and I are not likely to get overly worked up no matter what anyone else says. This may or may not be the correct attitude, but I think it is the one that exists. Please don't beat me up too badly.

I have a personal FIRST hand account from someone involved with and who personally knew Tomas about the computers and yellow back. That person wishes to remain incognito. They cannot at this point confirm or deny what he was breathing at the time but are confused as to why he wasn't wearing some of his normal RB equipment. Their pet theory is that Tomas surfaced out of site of the boat and drifted away, but of course they dont know either

I also have 2 third hand accounts of this information who claim to have got the information from 2 other independant sources (one of these accouints is YOURS Mverick)

A first hand account does it for me, as it does you Mverick. Of course by the time I put it on my web its a third hand account to everyone else. The fact that it has coroberating(sp?) third hand accounts adds to its weight in this case

I dont care a hoot if you trust me or not. I present the information I have available and its up to you to draw your own conclusions. Thats why I differentiate my feelings and where possible the source of each of the elements on my site.

Personally I believe he was wearing the box, but I cant post this on my site till I have at least first hand conformation. Its all written and waiting to be uploaded. I'm not trying to prove he wasn't wearing the Inspiration, I'm covering my ass from being sued by libelling someone

As for my diving, I dont consider it dangerous as its not "Likely" to cause harm. I wouldn't do it if it was (I've done nearly 3000 of them and am still here). Of course Mverick you may consider it dangerous. In which case I suggest you shouldn't be partaking in those dives until you learn how to control the risks to a level below "Likely" to cause harm.

Remember thats only "Websters" interpretation, and probably not a very good source as its not even written by English speakers (Those dam yanks :wink: ) Whats it say in the Oxford anyone? The word "Likely" implies >50% chance of harm per dive (else its "Not Likely") and thats obviously not true.

US insurance statistics show that more people are killed on their couches than are injured diving, but thats because many more people sit on couches than go diving. Hey there are more Inspirations than all the other CCR's added together could that be relevent???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom