Has anyone been griefed for their BP&W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was left at a dive site because I was diving a BP, they thought I was so TEK I didn't need to go back with the boat.......

doole:
Right - keep yer sticks on the ice, boys.

If the girls don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!

ShakaZulu:
I was left at a dive site because I was diving a BP, they thought I was so TEK I didn't need to go back with the boat.......

Maybe they thought you had a Halcyon inflatable raft.

Wijbrandus:
Has this happened to anyone else? I was under the impression that a BP&W is just as suitable for recreational diving as it is for "tech". I think I caught a DM that for whatever reason has something against anyone he considers part of the "tech" crowd.

By the way I never presented myself as anything other than what I am - a rookie diver. The DM had no reason to assume I was a tech diver of any sort.

Finally, how would you handle the situation? Would you have done anything differently?

In Bonaire last year I took some gentle teasing from one of the DM's about my rig ... but although me and my dive buddy were the only ones on the boat with backplates, mostly he was commenting about the 7-foot hose. It was all in fun though, and certainly no ill feelings on anybody's part. A lot of people on the boat were interested in why I dived that way. After getting to know a couple of them (because we always seemed to be out on the boat together), I offered to do an OOA drill at the end of the dive to show them why I liked the rig.

They thought it was a neat idea ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I haven't seen anyone "griefed" about their BP/W yet. I did see it the other way around once, though. I was on a dive boat with two guys that had what I figured out later were BP/W's. One was muttering to the other, but apparently loud enough to be heard, about having to dive on a boat with "a bunch of strokes". Anyway, they "changed their minds" and decided not to dive with us after one guy from New York took exception to the term "stroke". You can imagine what the average Joe on the boat would take that term to mean, knowing nothing about the whole DIR thing. I know I didn't put two and two together until later when I discovered the DS website.

Anyway, on the trip out the DM explained that some tech divers think they are God's gift to diving and guys like that tend to ruin dive trips for an entire boat, and how he hoped the shop gave them a refund instead of just rescheduling them, and what the heck were they doing on a normal dive/snorkel boat in the first place when they should be diving the Andrea Doria, etc. Who knows, maybe if you've been "griefed" it was because some of your ambassadors haven't been very diplomatic?

StSomewhere:
maybe if you've been "griefed" it was because some of your ambassadors haven't been very diplomatic?

Well, pretty much. (Not that I'm claiming to be on one side or the other.)

But we're (finally) getting to a point where people are starting to settle down about this.

AREN'T WE?

Nevis Diver:
Stupid question #1...what's a BP&W?

Stupid answer #1 Backplate and Wing

Saw your profile. Did both of those dives in St. Kitts and Nevis. Was one of the best vacations I ever took.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom