Has anyone been to Fantasy Island, Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Juli-Mermaid

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm taking my kids there this summer...one is a junior diver one snorkels...has anyone been there? and do you have any advise on diving do's and don'ts...good dive sites...good snorkeling and what else is fun to do?

Search for Roatan or FIBR or fantasy island and you'll find many reviews.

Good diving. Great lagoon. Dive boats were running well w/ plenty of space and good DM's. Kayaks. Decent food. Armed guard. Activity office for other stuff to do. Monkeys and a mini Zoo. Lots of bugs. Shore diving and snorkeling at the gazebo; snorkel the reef straight out from the dock across the channel.

Been there a couple of times, good diving, lots of non-divers there who seemed happy enough so I guess they had enough to do. I don't remember seeing any kids there, tho. This thread would have worked better on the Cent America forum, but you can run a Search on Fantasy and on FIBR and find loads of reading there.

I'd also suggest checking the US Center for Disease Control advisories on going to Honduras - yes, there is some malaria on the island, and the US State Dept advisories - both are on the net. Not dangerous, but good to be in the know. Passports much be valid for 6 months beyond planned visit.

Was there in May 2005 and May 2006. Nice place. Last time there they were adding a new pool, should be done by now. Good food, nice rooms, great beach and great diving. The monkeys are fun until they steal something. There aren't many activities beyond diving at the resort, but you can arrange for a canopy tour (and other tours) at the front desk.

As noted, take along lots of high-power DEET for the non-see-ums. It is also recommended that you have your shots in order; tetnus booster, polio, typhus, hep A and malaria meds. All very real possibilities.

PM me if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Dave (aka "Squirt")

Polio...?
As noted, take along lots of high-power DEET for the non-see-ums. It is also recommended that you have your shots in order; tetnus booster, polio, typhus, hep A and malaria meds. All very real possibilities.
Yeah I kept a can of Deep Woods in my room and a can in my dive locker, sprayed well every time I got dry - to repeal mosquitoes and no-seeums.

Tetanus, Hep A & B I keep up to date just for living in Texas. For Honduras, I add malaria prophylactic, even tho many do not bother. I don't touch the animals so don't' do the rabies vaccination nor some of the others suggested for long term, deep country visits. Here's your CDC link: http://www.cdc.gov/travel/camerica.htm#vaccines

Hi Juli!

Hope all is going well and I'm sure you and children will have a blast in Roatan. :)

The Bay Islands forum will probably be able to answer any questions.

I'm thinking I might send an email out within the next few weeks to see if we could get the group to Balmorhea maybe in the January/February time frame. It could be a fun weekends of diving and a nice change a scenery from the Blue Hole. :)

Talk to you soon!

amascuba:
I'm thinking I might send an email out within the next few weeks to see if we could get the group to Balmorhea maybe in the January/February time frame. It could be a fun weekends of diving and a nice change a scenery from the Blue Hole. :)

Talk to you soon!
There's a Texas SB gathering there in Feb. Not sure when. I'll find out.

My LDS is putting together another massive (65+ divers) trip next year... we went in June and there was plenty of room for everyone of us and the other guests as well.

Get a bottle of 100% DEET and mix it with suntan/coconut oil so it stays on your skin longer. Or get something called Green Ban http://www.greenhome.com/products/pest_control/personal_insect_repellants/102324/
Works wonders (better than DEET) and smells pretty good, not like bugspray.

Thanks for the advise! I'm now a bit scared about the diseases......I'm starting to regret my decision a bit...and wish I booked Cozumel instead....I did go to the other forum on Bay Islands and read the Malaria thread...of course there is mixed opinions but being the over-protective mom, I'm not sure the risk is worth the dive so-to-speak...I'm allergic to most medications and if there are side effects...I usually get them!...so taking the meds before I go probably isn't an option....I will talk to the dive shop and see what they say...I wish they told me this before I booked the trip!..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom