Has anyone dove Aquarena Springs Lately?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are people in Canada, and even closer to home, that would laugh at this statement. :D

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

It's all relative, isn't it ?

I, for one, have no problem being the biggest cold-wuss, water or air, that you will ever encounter.... Those Canadians can keep their snow and ice!

Hope to head down to San Marcos when it's too cold to dive up here.
There are people in Canada, and even closer to home, that would laugh at this statement. :D

Lol ... I see the humor in that from right here in Austin :)

I went out there this weekend with a friend and we worked on "Cream of Wheat."

I don't remember ever seeing it that overgrown with algea. It's pretty thick even in the Training area.

Maybe this is the season or whatever. So I thought I'd ask if any of the old timers had been down there recently and had the same opinion.

Hi Ryan,

The amount of algae is plenty standard for this time of year. I was out there Thursday cleaning Arch and Ossified with a newly minted science diver and found that the Coontail is really getting out of hand. Couple of reasons for that, one, Ethan is taking a full course load this semester and isn't spending as much time on/in the lake. Two, they had just cut a path for boats running from the south end of the lake. There was a big shift in the wind and all that was cut ended up in Deep Hole. Shawn and Erica worked three hours there on Wednesday and it still looked pretty rough. BTW, the easy passage from Deep Hole to Arch is essentially closed, as is the deep passage from COW to Ossified due to Coontail.

What is needed is about four divers who know exactly what they are doing to float Coontail while Ethan is picking it up with the cutter. This would be essentially a zero viz dive with a very hard 6' minimum depth and we should be able to fill a stakebed a couple of times. If we can get three more divers to help, a lot of good can be done over two dives. Ethan said that the best day would be a Friday. Drop me a line if anyone is interested and I will coordinate with Ethan and Erica.

Hi Ryan,

The amount of algae is plenty standard for this time of year. I was out there Thursday cleaning Arch and Ossified with a newly minted science diver and found that the Coontail is really getting out of hand. Couple of reasons for that, one, Ethan is taking a full course load this semester and isn't spending as much time on/in the lake. Two, they had just cut a path for boats running from the south end of the lake. There was a big shift in the wind and all that was cut ended up in Deep Hole. Shawn and Erica worked three hours there on Wednesday and it still looked pretty rough. BTW, the easy passage from Deep Hole to Arch is essentially closed, as is the deep passage from COW to Ossified due to Coontail.

What is needed is about four divers who know exactly what they are doing to float Coontail while Ethan is picking it up with the cutter. This would be essentially a zero viz dive with a very hard 6' minimum depth and we should be able to fill a stakebed a couple of times. If we can get three more divers to help, a lot of good can be done over two dives. Ethan said that the best day would be a Friday. Drop me a line if anyone is interested and I will coordinate with Ethan and Erica.

I'm available the morning of October 3rd.

I appreciate the call to arms for volunteers Driftwood. I was about to suggest the same thing. My schedule is pretty hectic however, I might be available next Monday or Tuesday.

I can't come until Oct. 18 (Saturday), but I volunteer for that weekend. Anyone else want to help out then?

I was in Aquarena a couple of weeks ago with RumBum and Bill - - and it's definitely pretty messy.
I took that to be the season - the low flow, high sun - and lack of significant flooding.

I've been volunteering for near a decade and it gets this way every now&then - - It's impressive to see the action from a good flood, it'll clear out all that stuff and much that we are not allowed to!

Sounds like fun - - I just started at TX State, so Fridays are actually possible. Weekends don't look good - I'm headed to Galveston to start digging out this weekend and Mack has us at the Parks & Wildlife festival Oct 3,4

I just realized I'd already committed to Rob for Oct 3 Tx Parks and Wildlife.

I'm still free Fri Oct 17

Back
Top Bottom