Has anyone ever replaced an ipod battery with one of those kits you can buy online?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fairybasslet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
they seem to be a lot cheaper and faster than going through Apple.

Nope. But if you try it, I'd be interested in hearing how easy it is to do.

Yes. I did a lot of iPod trading for a shor twhile :) buying themused and reselling them.

Right now I'm using a third gen with a brand new battery--$55 total it cost me :wink: great price! You can buy a battery for very little and the tools they include work well. There are several websites with detailed instructions and I think there are maybe some videos on it too.

Thanks. I put in an order for one and I should get it this week. I also did some other searches and found blogs about the batteries and how they are better than the original ipod battery. Mine lasted me more than a year and a half. Since my ipod is already out of warranty, I don't have to worry about voiding it by opening it up myself. Of course, I fell for the some of the marketing tricks of these sites. I did get a 3 year warrenty on the new battery (that will save me around $17 if it dies in the same amount of time as my original). And then there was a pop up "If you buy one of these accessories, the shipping is free!" So I bought a 3-in1 charger, player for my car since my son absconded with my old car player (which was crap anyway and didn't charge the ipod while playing). Sorry, but I forget what the 3rd feature was. :rofl3: I wonder how long it will take him to steal my new one.

jagfish:
What site did you order from?
http://www.ipodbatterydepot.com/index.asp

I did a search for mini ipod replacement battery and WOW, there are a lot of them. I looked at about 5 before deciding on this one. It had the best prices and the fastest shipping.

My gen 3 is on its third battery. Changing them out is a piece of cake - follow the directions that come with your battery and don't be afraid of using a little pressure if needed to pop open the case.

Well, you asked me to let you know how it went, and I have to admit, I messed up and broke the connector on my ipod. I was doing ok until it came time to disconnect the battery, and I pulled too hard and broke the entire connector off. I tried to super glue it back but... To tell the honest truth, I really didn't know that there was a plug type thing. My son said I should have let him do it because he knows computers better. 20 20 hindsight. But knowing him, he probably wouldn't have done it for me anyway. And if he had broken it, well, there would have been a gigantic fight. :rofl3:
So anyway, I had to order a new ipod. I ordered a refurbished mini for $99 and free shipping, and it's guaranteed for a year.
So, instead of spending $60 to get my battery changed, I spent $15 for a new battery, broke the ipod, and now am speding another $100 for a new one. Live and learn.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom