Has anyone seen or used the new Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I may have mentioned this in a previous post but the Hydros must always be picked up by the handle, otherwise the shoulder straps break ( happened to me). I've had one now for 4 years and had a few issues. Now use it as a "wing" only and removed the weight pockets, plus added a crotch strap.
When it dies I will defo go for a wing and backplate.

Same here I have removed the weight pockets and only used it with the optional waist harness. The problem is deckies picking up by the strap from the water into the rib.

I am a fairly new diver, and have been using my Hydros for a few years on ~50 dives. That is a fairly short sample period, but thus far, I am very happy with it. It is comfortable, easy to customize, packs well, and is fairly light. Have not had any issues.

My only pause is that it came with an Air2, and I am a bit ambivalent about how I feel about that...

But generally very pleased.

I love my Hydros but love my freedom plate even more. I promised the Hydros to my son if he ever gets off his lazy ass and moves out.

Try a BP/W, they knock a (jacket) BCD into a cocked hat for every one of the reasons you’ve listed.

Edit: (jacket) BCD

er i have a BP/W in fact i have two! My doubles are obviously on a BP/W and i have a single tank BP/W and wing as well!

My hydros is my "Holdiay" rig for warm water diving, at which it excels imo. I wouldn't do a 50m doubles deco dive in 10degC water in the english channel in it any more than i would dive the doubles BP/W setup whilst doing a 15m fun holiday dive off the beach in the Caribbean

Horses, for courses....... ;-)

This is why I think BP/W systems need to be assembled and in a dive shop on display and have sales staff that know what they’re selling and can explain them.

Whilst i certainly agree with the overall sentiment of this ^^^ suggestion, it's a bit of a dichotomy imo, precisely because the single biggest "advantage" of a BP/W setup is it's flexibility and configerability!

That capability necessarily makes it more complex to specify and setup, and the options that allow it to be tailored to the individual and provide the system with it's wide range of capabilies are of course a hurdle for a less advanced diver, although obviously can be easily overcome with some reseach and effort.

er i have a BP/W in fact i have two! My doubles are obviously on a BP/W and i have a single tank BP/W and wing as well!

My hydros is my "Holdiay" rig for warm water diving, at which it excels imo. I wouldn't do a 50m doubles deco dive in 10degC water in the english channel in it any more than i would dive the doubles BP/W setup whilst doing a 15m fun holiday dive off the beach in the Caribbean

Horses, for courses....... ;-)
I must learn to not take people's profiles at face value...

We'll have to agree to differ. I'll use a harness + ali backplate + single wing + single tank adapter + weight pouches every day over a jacket BCD. Not least as one barely notices the difference between that and a full-on technical twinset rig. But most of all as it's smaller, simpler, more rugged and more comfortable.

Whilst i certainly agree with the overall sentiment of this ^^^ suggestion, it's a bit of a dichotomy imo, precisely because the single biggest "advantage" of a BP/W setup is it's flexibility and configerability!

That capability necessarily makes it more complex to specify and setup, and the options that allow it to be tailored to the individual and provide the system with it's wide range of capabilies are of course a hurdle for a less advanced diver, although obviously can be easily overcome with some reseach and effort.

You can buy a RAM pickup truck with a VAST # of different configurations and options. That doesn't stop the dealerships from picking one and putting it on display.

There's actually probably a lot more agreement on a "standard" BPW config (for single tank diving) than even what there is for a "standard" pickup truck configuration.

And since I'm here posting anyway, may as well stir the pot a little bit....

As I posted previously, I think the Hydros Pro has a lot of advantages over a BP/W for single tank diving.

But, I pretty much never dive my Hydros Pro when I'm diving a single tank. Because, what IS better than the Hydros Pro is a Freedom Contour back plate (made by @Eric Sedletzky) and a good wing (I prefer the VDH Argonaut wings, myself). The Freedom plate takes away a couple of the advantages I cited for the Hydros Pro. The Freedom plate rig is just as stable and just as comfortable as the Hydros. And it's stainless steel, so I generally need no lead at all when using the Freedom plate rig.

I can't say the Freedom is as convenient. I mean, the Hydros has no crotch strap to don, and it cinches down quickly and easily in every dimension. A BP (of any type) that is setup Hogarthian style (the only way I run any of mine) has a crotch strap to do up, and if you are changing between warm water and cold water, it's more time-consuming to adjust to fit just right. But, once the BP is setup to fit the exposure protection you're using, the difference in convenience is negligible. The crotch strap only takes a few seconds to affix when kitting up.

With the Freedom plate being equally stable and comfortable, I am happy to use it over the Hydros (despite it's other slight disadvantages like convenience and slower drying) because, one, there is nothing on my BP/W rig to break. No plastic anywhere. No hinges. No shoulder straps that might rip. And, it is so much more streamlined than the Hydros (even with the travel waist belt). For warm water, I use an 18# wing on my Freedom plate. Diving with it is like having nothing but a bare tank on my bank. The tank is closer to my body and the drag from the wing is about the minimum that it could possibly be. The Hydros holds the tank further out from my body and the wing is quite a bit bigger.

The Hydros Pro is a top of the line BCD. But, if you can get one, the Freedom Contour plate is nicer (to me, anyway).

You can buy a RAM pickup truck with a VAST # of different configurations and options. That doesn't stop the dealerships from picking one and putting it on display.

There's actually probably a lot more agreement on a "standard" BPW config (for single tank diving) than even what there is for a "standard" pickup truck configuration.

And since I'm here posting anyway, may as well stir the pot a little bit....

As I posted previously, I think the Hydros Pro has a lot of advantages over a BP/W for single tank diving.

But, I pretty much never dive my Hydros Pro when I'm diving a single tank. Because, what IS better than the Hydros Pro is a Freedom Contour back plate (made by @Eric Sedletzky) and a good wing (I prefer the VDH Argonaut wings, myself). The Freedom plate takes away a couple of the advantages I cited for the Hydros Pro. The Freedom plate rig is just as stable and just as comfortable as the Hydros. And it's stainless steel, so I generally need no lead at all when using the Freedom plate rig.

I can't say the Freedom is as convenient. I mean, the Hydros has no crotch strap to don, and it cinches down quickly and easily in every dimension. A BP (of any type) that is setup Hogarthian style (the only way I run any of mine) has a crotch strap to do up, and if you are changing between warm water and cold water, it's more time-consuming to adjust to fit just right. But, once the BP is setup to fit the exposure protection you're using, the difference in convenience is negligible. The crotch strap only takes a few seconds to affix when kitting up.

With the Freedom plate being equally stable and comfortable, I am happy to use it over the Hydros (despite it's other slight disadvantages like convenience and slower drying) because, one, there is nothing on my BP/W rig to break. No plastic anywhere. No hinges. No shoulder straps that might rip. And, it is so much more streamlined than the Hydros (even with the travel waist belt). For warm water, I use an 18# wing on my Freedom plate. Diving with it is like having nothing but a bare tank on my bank. The tank is closer to my body and the drag from the wing is about the minimum that it could possibly be. The Hydros holds the tank further out from my body and the wing is quite a bit bigger.

The Hydros Pro is a top of the line BCD. But, if you can get one, the Freedom Contour plate is nicer (to me, anyway).

Yup. That pretty much sums it up. @Eric Sedletzky - Thank you.

IMG_20210807_192953.jpg

Good analogy, and dealerships offer 'trims' of cars - what accessories it's packaged with (e.g.: leather interior, fancy wheels). On a BP/W setup, integrated weight and trim weight pockets, more easily adjustable to fit webbing, and such might also make offering 2 or 3 pre-configured options worthwhile.

But, I pretty much never dive my Hydros Pro when I'm diving a single tank. Because, what IS better than the Hydros Pro is a Freedom Contour back plate (made by @Eric Sedletzky) and a good wing (I prefer the VDH Argonaut wings, myself).

And this is part of what frustrates divers considering it. Most divers have never heard of 'Freedom plates' (which were a scarce supply item with a lengthly waiting list when I was looking) or VDH, and you'd have to get the BP and wing from 2 different sources, maybe with a lengthy wait, then what are the odds the LDS guy will web it up for you when you probably didn't buy those things from him? And if you don't get the much-praised Freedom plate, and that VDH Argonaut wing...are you settling for inferior gear? Cue FUD - Fear, Uncertainly, Doubt.

Or...walk into your LDS, try a Hydros on, like the fit, the sales guy talks it up and you feel good about it, it's a strong brand name product, and you walk out happy that same day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom