Has anyone seen or used the new Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good analogy, and dealerships offer 'trims' of cars - what accessories it's packaged with (e.g.: leather interior, fancy wheels). On a BP/W setup, integrated weight and trim weight pockets, more easily adjustable to fit webbing, and such might also make offering 2 or 3 pre-configured options worthwhile.

And this is part of what frustrates divers considering it. Most divers have never heard of 'Freedom plates' (which were a scarce supply item with a lengthly waiting list when I was looking) or VDH, and you'd have to get the BP and wing from 2 different sources, maybe with a lengthy wait, then what are the odds the LDS guy will web it up for you when you probably didn't buy those things from him? And if you don't get the much-praised Freedom plate, and that VDH Argonaut wing...are you settling for inferior gear? Cue FUD - Fear, Uncertainly, Doubt.

Or...walk into your LDS, try a Hydros on, like the fit, the sales guy talks it up and you feel good about it, it's a strong brand name product, and you walk out happy that same day.

i guess that's why i have both. probably also why i have drawers and drawers and storage bins and closets full of DSMB's, reels, regulators, gloves, boots, knives, oh dear lord.

Or...walk into your LDS, try a Hydros on, like the fit, the sales guy talks it up and you feel good about it, it's a strong brand name product, and you walk out happy that same day.

And don't need any further instructions or training to use it out of the box :)

Good analogy, and dealerships offer 'trims' of cars - what accessories it's packaged with (e.g.: leather interior, fancy wheels). On a BP/W setup, integrated weight and trim weight pockets, more easily adjustable to fit webbing, and such might also make offering 2 or 3 pre-configured options worthwhile.

And this is part of what frustrates divers considering it. Most divers have never heard of 'Freedom plates' (which were a scarce supply item with a lengthly waiting list when I was looking) or VDH, and you'd have to get the BP and wing from 2 different sources, maybe with a lengthy wait, then what are the odds the LDS guy will web it up for you when you probably didn't buy those things from him? And if you don't get the much-praised Freedom plate, and that VDH Argonaut wing...are you settling for inferior gear? Cue FUD - Fear, Uncertainly, Doubt.

That's why we sell Halcyon at the shop.... :) There are accessory options, but then, there are accessory options for a Hydros, too...

And don't need any further instructions or training to use it out of the box :)

What further instructions or training do you need for a BP/W? How to connect the crotch strap...?

That's why we sell Halcyon at the shop.... :) There are accessory options, but then, there are accessory options for a Hydros, too...

What further instructions or training do you need for a BP/W? How to connect the crotch strap...?
How to adjust it to fit properly, how to inflate it at the surface and how to adjust buoyancy underwater, how to take it off and put it back on the surface and underwater in openwater, etc. It isn't the same as a jacket BC and the inexperienced user of a BP/W will need some hand holding to become proficient in using it.

You may think that there isn't much to it but you have been using it for a long time and it become second nature to you just like tying your shoe laces but it isn't for the inexperienced without some mentoring and guidance.

How to adjust it to fit properly, how to inflate it at the surface and how to adjust buoyancy underwater, how to take it off and put it back on the surface and underwater in openwater, etc. It isn't the same as a jacket BC and the inexperienced user of a BP/W will need some hand holding to become proficient in using it.

You may think that there isn't much to it but you have been using it for a long time and it become second nature to you just like tying your shoe laces but it isn't for the inexperienced without some mentoring and guidance.

Just my opinion, of course, but the only mentoring I think is needed is fitment. People rarely get that right on their own on the first (or 10th) try.

Inflating, deflating are the same as an integrated BCD. Remove/replace is basically the same, except for the crotch strap. When we teach remove/replace with an integrated BCD, it's not like we have them undo the shoulder strap buckles. They put their arms through the shoulder straps just like you would with a BPW. Some integrated BCDs have a sternum strap, which BPW usually don't. Some integrated BCDs have a cummerbund along with a waist buckle, where the BPW only has a waist buckle. I don't think lack of a sternum strap and a cummerbund requires any special training or mentoring.

So, the only issues with a BPW are ones that should be handled at the time it is sold to the student by the shop. I.e. a few minutes to assemble and help fit it to them, and show them how the crotch strap is worn. Then good to go.

Just my opinion, of course, but the only mentoring I think is needed is fitment. People rarely get that right on their own on the first (or 10th) try.

Inflating, deflating are the same as an integrated BCD. Remove/replace is basically the same, except for the crotch strap. When we teach remove/replace with an integrated BCD, it's not like we have them undo the shoulder strap buckles. They put their arms through the shoulder straps just like you would with a BPW. Some integrated BCDs have a sternum strap, which BPW usually don't. Some integrated BCDs have a cummerbund along with a waist buckle, where the BPW only has a waist buckle. I don't think lack of a sternum strap and a cummerbund requires any special training or mentoring.

So, the only issues with a BPW are ones that should be handled at the time it is sold to the student by the shop. I.e. a few minutes to assemble and help fit it to them, and show them how the crotch strap is worn. Then good to go.

You are oversimplifying it too much. Going from a jack bc to a BP/W for the less experienced diver is a major step that should be done carefully with the help of a more experienced diver. It isn't a straight forward for somebody who was trained in a jacket bc and never used a BP/W or was guided on how to use it. A simple issue is how to handle and where to put the weight belt with a BP/W as an example. Taking it off and back on isn't as simple as a jacket bc especially underwater. Again, I am looking at it from a less experienced diver point of view.

You are oversimplifying it too much. Going from a jack bc to a BP/W for the less experienced diver is a major step that should be done carefully with the help of a more experienced diver. It isn't a straight forward for somebody who was trained in a jacket bc and never used a BP/W or was guided on how to use it. A simple issue is how to handle and where to put the weight belt with a BP/W as an example. Taking it off and back on isn't as simple as a jacket bc especially underwater. Again, I am looking at it from a less experienced diver point of view.

It's not like moving over to sidemount. Adjusting a one-piece harness isn't rocket science.

Agreed that taking a harness of underwater isn't the easiest thing to do especially if it's cold water. If you have to do that, you can add a break-loop on the LHS so you're more self sufficient / solo.

It's not like moving over to sidemount. Adjusting a one-piece harness isn't rocket science.

Agreed that taking a harness of underwater isn't the easiest thing to do especially if it's cold water. If you have to do that, you can add a break-loop on the LHS so you're more self sufficient / solo.

It should be. If it's not, your shoulder straps are too tight. It's especially easy if you setup the waist belt so the buckle is on the short side and does not pass through the crotch strap loop. Then, it is way easier to take off (in the water or out) than an integrated BCD. Open the waist buckle, pull the waist belt tail out of the buckle and crotch strap loop all in one motion, and shrug your shoulders out one at a time. Much simpler than removing a BCD with a sternum strap, a buckle and a cummerbund.

Is there a consensus on weight belt placement though? Some people like under. Some people like over. Some people like right side release. Some people like left side release. Some people put pockets on the main belt and don’t use a weight belt at all.

Is there a consensus on weight belt placement though? Some people like under. Some people like over. Some people like right side release. Some people like left side release. Some people put pockets on the main belt and don’t use a weight belt at all.

I have a consensus of 1: Don't use a weight belt. If I need weight, I put trim weight pockets on my cam band(s).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom