Has anyone seen or used the new Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ve done that with a steel plate and dive skin in warm water. I’m thinking about for diving dry in cold water?

It should be. If it's not, your shoulder straps are too tight. It's especially easy if you setup the waist belt so the buckle is on the short side and does not pass through the crotch strap loop. Then, it is way easier to take off (in the water or out) than an integrated BCD. Open the waist buckle, pull the waist belt tail out of the buckle and crotch strap loop all in one motion, and shrug your shoulders out one at a time. Much simpler than removing a BCD with a sternum strap, a buckle and a cummerbund.
With a drysuit and multiple layers in cold water and dry gloves, it’s hard to pull the straps off. Not least as the wing's fully inflated so the rig doesn’t drop into Neptune's locker.

Summer or warm water garb, less of a challenge.

My wife had similar issues with two of her Aqualung BCDs. She had the weight inserts replaced by Aqualung on one of the units, but the problem persisted. One time was at the beginning of a dive at the Great Blue Hole in Belize. One pouch let go, despite her habit of checking them multiple times prior to diving. She had just started her descent and I saw a puff of sand swirl up from the impact of the weight pocket. It was about 2 feet from making the 400+ foot trip to the bottom of the hole. I recovered it and we replaced it and luckily had no further incidents on that trip. After some continued problems on a trip to Key West she came back from a dive, went directly to Divers Direct and bought a Zeagle Stiletto and has had zero problems since.
Your post was a few years ago, but I just saw it. She messed around with the AL for a bit and decided she did not like it after all and returned it and bought the Hydros Pro. She was able to get the newer version. I am still diving my first gen version and she has been happy with hers. I got my shoulders updated in 2018 or 2019 I think. I have had no problems and the old style bungees are not an issue. It's not like I swim around with the bladder full. So far, neither of us has any tearing of the monprene or any other problems, but diving has been very limited since the onset of Covid.

Simple harness with the Hydros Pro , weight pockets are packed in a box now not used , this is my 'go to' for local cattle boat dives, have not used my SP 30lb BP/W or my Hog 18lb BP/W for ages, nice gear..... I want comfort and ease of use now.
this is so easy on/off for an old bugger like me in a 3mm and warm water.
Hy.jpg

weight pockets are packed in a box now not used

Do you use any weights and where do you put them?

Do you use any weights and where do you put them?
Depends on the cylinder used , with steel 12.2 Lt , not much weight in the trim pockets [built in] near the cylinder and the rest [never need much] on a weight belt , most times just a small block on each hip, sometimes I use my skin diving rubber belt with the blocks, so easy to climb boat ladders after passing it up.
The B/W 5-6 lb SS plate and 12.2 Lt cylinder climbing a ladder in a swell is hard work now, and some boat deck apes [crew] "crack a sad" if you ditch and try to pass it up, I never liked the SP pockets, bulky and the release system for the weights did not suite me [could be just me] , old dog and new tricks come to mind.

Back
Top Bottom