Has anyone tried diving a Dive Rite Travelpac?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hate to revive this thread for a second time...but I'm looking at the voyagerpac as they are on sale for $290. How is the wing attached to the harness/plate? Is it stitched? Riveted?

A slight tangent, but I found "too much weight" to be detrimental even with BC that had ample lift. In contrast, once I got my weighting more accurate, diving became easier and more enjoyable all around, so I would instead recommend someone newish to "dial in" their weighting instead of potentially buying a BC with more lift than needed just to compensate for over-weighting.
I could not agree more. But the harsh reality is that about 80% of divers do wear too much weight. I tried to get divers to reduce weight for 15 years. Those that took heed to my advice found their bouyancy and air consumption improve drastically. But still most dive with at least 4lbs too much weight. These divers are going to have surface problems with this BCD. Not playing down the importance of training, just pointing out a concern.

I took the advice of the best diver I ever knew and worked on buoyancy (not trim - just buoyancy) till I had my weighting perfect before I even thought about working on anything else I was exposed to in OW. Once I did that I worked on trim. I've gone so far as pouring my own custom weights in 3, 2, 1.5, 1, and 0.5 pound sizes. I can adjust my bouyancy & trim perfectly now, to the point where I can hover vertically, head down without moving. It was totally worth the work.

hate to revive this thread for a second time...but I'm looking at the voyagerpac as they are on sale for $290. How is the wing attached to the harness/plate? Is it stitched? Riveted?

Stitched to soft plate.

Back
Top Bottom