Hatchless SOT kayak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diving_emtp

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anyone use an open, (i.e. no hatches for storage) SOT kayak such as a Spitfire or OK Frenzy? If so, how do they handle and are you able to take all the gear that you would like to take?

Are they even a viable dive kayak?

Thanks

diving_emtp

While I cannot directly answer your questions (I don't use those boats), all I use my big front hatch for (OK Prowler 13) is to put my kayak cart wheels and/or a couple of towels in a dry bag. I leave ALL of the gear actually used for diving tied to the yak. Tank/BC/Reg are in the stern tank well, and mask/fins/gloves/etc. are in a mesh bag that is strapped to the area ahead of my feet.

Hey Diving_emtp... we need to take our yaks out...

Debby - Thanks for the reply. I watched a video on YouTube of a kayak diver who used the foward hatch to store some of his gear.

Scuba_dad- I'd love to...but I need a kayak first. Don't know if I'm going to get one anytime soon. I found a used Frenzy for sale and then saw a Spitfire at Dicks and wasn't sure if a hatch was needed.

Thanks again for the respones.

diving_emtp

I have a Cobra Fish/Dive & I use the center hatch for stowing a dry bag w/phone as well as my mask & fins. In my front hatch I carry a small cooler type lunch bag w/a post dive soda. In rough water waves will break over the bow but, as long as I'm careful, I've never had any problem with taking on a lot of water. I have no problem with the center hatch but, again, I'm careful. Open it up, get what I need, close it right back up. I have thought about getting a swim noodle, cutting it in half & lining the inside edges with it as an added safety measure. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Some of the people in Kayuba use the big bow hatch for putting their mask/fins/snorkel, or even an extra tank...I am not very coordinated, and I would personally meet with disaster if I tried to use mine!!! So yes, you might be able to use one if you had it...but I've made several successful kayak dives without opening my hatch offshore. Ever.

Hey diving empt, where in Florida are you located? Are you close enough to Fort Lauderdale to make a meeeting or a dive with Kayuba?

Debby-- I have read about the people with second tanks in the front hatch. I get around and hour and half or better out of a single tank shore diving. I would swim in get some water a sandwich.. fresh water rinse. Rest for a bit then go back in with another tank. I think the EASE of paddling I certainely am going to come in for a rest then go back out.. not stay out there for four - 6 hours straight.. yikes..

Eric, I totally agree. And I've done that. Paddled back, switched out tanks, and sat and BS-d on the beach with my buddies. I REALLY don't want to risk flipping my boat with the hatch open. OMG!!!

Debby - Thanks for the reply. I watched a video on YouTube of a kayak diver who used the foward hatch to store some of his gear.

Scuba_dad- I'd love to...but I need a kayak first. Don't know if I'm going to get one anytime soon. I found a used Frenzy for sale and then saw a Spitfire at Dicks and wasn't sure if a hatch was needed.

Thanks again for the respones.

diving_emtp

Who says you need to get a kayak... I need a kayak dive buddy for my other kayak. :) I have a Prowler 13 like Debby's, and a Wilderness Ride 13.

Al

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom