Hate to complain, but...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pete,
I suspect the reason for the slowdown for us in Europe is the trip to the ad server. At times it can take about 10 seconds for an ad to be displayed.
The ads are the quickest part of our system. It's an ensy, teensy data base and it lives on the same server as our forum database. I get that people like to attack the evil commercial side of our forum, you know, the side that pays for the servers, housing the servers, the bandwidth as well as the time for people to take care of it, but no one has shown any credible evidence to that effect. I apologize for having to make a modest salary and provide the same for a few of our staff, and if I were independently wealthy, you can be sure that I would probably eliminate advertising. Ask Howie: I hate to deal with that side of our forum so I usually don't. We could use the integrated ad server that comes with vBulletin, but in reality it is just as quirky and slow as vBulletin.

Your response to me was inappropriate and condescending.

I did not complain - I was trying to be helpful.
I won't be doing that again -- ever.

So learn some manners mate.

Your response to me was inappropriate and condescending.

I did not complain - I was trying to be helpful.
I won't be doing that again -- ever.

Are you for real? What was inappropriate in his response?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgive me for upsetting you in this. Perhaps its our cultures colliding, but in America simply pointing out how and why we disagree is not inappropriate or condescending. In fact, simply ignoring you would be considered bad form. You see, we get this criticism quite often but never with any support for the theory. None. Nada. Squat. You "suspect" that its the ads, but we just don't see that on our end. I was trying to help you understand why we don't think its our adserver as well as why a few people continually say its the ads. That being said, if you have some actual documentation that our adservers are to blame, please trot it out. We have spent a great deal of time and effort in trying to streamline our "pig" and would love to have some answers as to why it seems that a few people have such an excessive load time while many of us can have it load in a couple of seconds.

It just took me 20 secs to refresh this page. I use IE and have Avast Virus Software. The "old" format used to reload on my machine in about 5 secs -- max. If I had to guess, there are more associated sites (facebook, etc.) and ads attached to this new format. Avast (or any real-time virus checker) has to "vet" these links before they are permitted access to the machine. Hench the longer wait time for a complete reload.

I kept hoping that things would get speedier, but it just ain't happening. And yes, I spend less time on Scubaboard now as a result of the wait times. That's just the price I have to pay to maintain a bulletproof machine.

A fast page load for me now is about 5 seconds; there are periods when it is at least triple that. The average page load for me is probably about twice what it was before the "upgrade". No significant difference between IE8, IE9, or Chrome 13.0.782.220 m. Running same security software as before.

I have a 1 Gig connection; Running on a superfast PC. SB is waaay slow. Forget the "numbers" above. It takes forever to load pages. I've tried on multiple machines on different connections. It's worth it though.

For anyone on a Mac use Safari, it's bearable where Firefox is not. So I continue to use Safari only for Scubaboard and Firefox for the rest of the internet, apparently the rest of the internet has a problem:wink:

Great site and I am happy to have a work-around, however I can't imagine how denial of a problem is in line with the goal of the site to grow. Cheers.

For anyone on a Mac use Safari, it's bearable where Firefox is not. So I continue to use Safari only for Scubaboard and Firefox for the rest of the internet, apparently the rest of the internet has a problem:wink:

Great site and I am happy to have a work-around, however I can't imagine how denial of a problem is in line with the goal of the site to grow. Cheers.

Is it denial when I can honestly say that I have ZERO, NADA, ZILCH, ZIP, NONE, problems using Firefox, IE and Chrome? Periodically there are short hiccups but that is not what we are talking about here. People in this thread seem to think they represent the majority when in fact they are the visible minority.

I think a survey is in order...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom