Have anyone been turned down for diving because of their certification agency?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Come on, there was a smiley in my post :) Hans Hass is at least as well-known as Costeau in Austria, and maybe the first ever underwater footage I saw as a child. Definitely one of my big heroes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Between 1948 & 1960 Dr. Hass produced 105 feature films almost all shown in the German speaking counties and selected countries of Europe.
"and maybe the first ever underwater footage I saw as a child."

You should do some research on Dr. Hass and wife Lotte, both are underwater treasures of your country and almost forgotten underwater treasures of the world.

Recall Dr. Hass's statement "For Cousteau there existed only Cousteau. He never acknowledges others or corrected the impression that he wasn't the first in diving or in underwater photography"

Dr. Hass accomplished every thing at least 10 or more years before JYC and most concede ten times better

A parting thought. take some of your hard earned Euros and purchase and READ Dr. Michael Jung's biographical book "HANS HASS, ein leben lang auf expedion; ein porprat"

Have some pride in your lansman

SDM

Hi Sam, I know you don't have a C card but you must have an instructors card from NAUI and L.A. COUNTY, right ?
Have you every been asked for a C card by anyone ?

Bill
dead dog

For fun, I have presented my 1970 LA County Underwater Unit Basic Scuba card as proof of certification. It has never been turned down but several operators have asked me its background. Upon explaining the unit's origins, the card has always been accepted. I've not used it to qualify for AOW certification requiring dives though the training should be acceptable by today's standards. Of course, I always have a more contemporary certification available should my "fun' end up causing me any problems with my dive plans. Many young whippersnappers have never heard of the LACUU, kind of sad, but not unexpected.

I saw that there is a mine in Germany (Nuttlar) where you need to have a cavediving cert. Ok, that is normal, because it is overhead. But you cannot dive there with a TDI cavediver cert without checkdive. With a iantd cavediver cert you can dive there without checkdive. That sounds strange to me.

I usually show my SDI Solo Diver card if a certification is requested. If for some reason this card is not accepted, next I'll show my red NACD Cave Diver card, or, IANTD Normoxic Trimix card. If none of these are recognized or honored, I carry with me a CMAS P3 card. However, if the operator wants to hold on the card until billing, I'll give them my lowest card, PADI OW.

Here at Ojamo mine, no matter the cert, first divers have to do 5 OW dives before being allowed in the tunnels.

So far the only place where my SDI Solo Diver card was rejected, was at Ojamo. Now 100+ Ojamo cave dives later, I still keep wondering if I'll ever have a chance to dive solo at Ojamo...

We get asked all the time,"Will my C-card be accepted if I travel to dive?" Of course it will.

But I wondered if anyone has every heard of someone being turned down because the shop or charter did not accept their particular agencies card?

Thanks,
John

Most people don't recognize my YMCA dive card but still accept it. They just ask additional questions like 'when was the last time I dove' or 'do you have your log book?'.

I have an Open Water II dive card from YMCA which was my first dive class back in '02. I also have the PADI Master Diver cert as well which I got in the years afterwards. I travel with both my YMCA and PADI dive cards but keep them in separate places. On occasion I've misplaced things :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom