Have I got a book for you!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

is 'Operation Drumbeat' (M. Gannon) which recounts the WWII German U-boat action along the US East Coast and decribes the sinking of many ships that are frequented by wreck divers.

I read it on the plane prior to diving the Francis Powell, an aviation gasoline tanker), which was torpedoed off the VA coast.

For those of you who like to read, try "Into Thin Air" by Krackower. Its about climbing Mt. Everest, not scuba. But it gets into the morality of dangerous activities, and the motivatons that ultimately create tragedies, in a way that "The Last Dive" completely missed.

Leadweight:
Sounds like a good one. I've always loved mountain climbing books. I've read a couple.
One of my favorites was by Peter Jenkins. It was "Walk Across China", and just touched on Everest..but the whole book was great. I've really enjoyed all of his books. All Non fiction.

I still think a monthly book club could work on here. Maybe even bi weekly.

Hello, All! I've enjoyed this thread, and as a newbie to the board seems like a safe one for my first post. :D

DOWN TO THE SHIPS IN THE SEA by Harry Grossett. First-person account of experience as a hard-hat diver beginning in 1896. Grossett worked on the salvage of the sub M2 in 1939 and tells stories of WWII-era diving that make modern tech diving pale in comparison.

ANDREA DORIA: DIVE TO AN ERA by Gary Gentile. How come nobody's suggested any of Gentile's many books? In addition to some great u/w pics, GG tells of some harrowing penetrations. A good read.

GOLDFINGER by Keith Jessop & Neil Hanson (who wrote THE CUISTOM OF THE SEA). Utilizing sat divers, Jessop successfully salvaged $100mil in gold from the sunken "Edinburgh" in the Barents Sea.

SOLID BRASS by Bob Wick. Commercial hardhat diver in WA and AK in the 40s, 50s & 60s. Wick tells of many adventures diving on oil rigs & pipelines in zero vis. Little cross-over for scuba enthusiasts but some fascinating stories.

BEYOND THE DEEP by William Stone & Barbara am Ende. The story of a push into Mexico's Huautla cave system combining dry caving techniques with Stone's then-experimental Cis-Lunar Mk-IV rebreather.

There's lots more, and along with wreck research, gear work & tropical vacations, the winter months are a great time to catch up on reading! Thanks to everyone for great posts on this thread & others!

--Steve

I agree with the reccomendation for Jon Krakauer's "Into thin Air"; though it's about extreme climbing rather than diving it's a great read and the parallels are striking.

Krakauer also wrote another called "Into the Wild" about a guy determined to survive the Alaskan winter wilderness on his own...very interesting description of being totally into pushing yourself, survival-style, trying to adapt to a hostile natural environment. Again, lots of similarities to scuba...

Just a few books that you all have not talked about.

Andrea Doria; dive to an era by Gary Gentile

Deep Blue; by Nate Hardcastle

The Oceans; by Ellen J. Prager. not about diving but has anything you ever wont to know about the ocean.

Beyond the Deep; by William Stone and Barbara Am Ende. great book

SteveKL:
BEYOND THE DEEP by William Stone & Barbara am Ende. The story of a push into Mexico's Huautla cave system combining dry caving techniques with Stone's then-experimental Cis-Lunar Mk-IV rebreather.

I just finished this book and it was a fascinating read. It makes you realize just how much exploration still remains to be done and how little we know about this planet we call home.

I'm going away in 6 days and don't have a book yet. I'm thinking about "Helldivers Rodeo". It sounds good, from what you guys have said.
Do you think we have enough interest for a sub forum book club..?

Glad to see this thread resurected. I'll second the idea of a book club. I just ordered "Deep Descent" and "Beyond the Deep" and finished "Last Dive" last month.

RJ

roguediver:
Anyone have any new books to talk about. Im looking for books that have to do with the Civil War Navy and books that have to do with underwater Archeology.

Here are a few that I have on my shelves...
CIVIL WAR NAVY:
Civil War Navies 1855-1883 by Paul H. Silverstone

The Photographic History of the Civil War: Volume 3 - Forts and Artillery, The Navies by O.E. Hunt (ed.)

History of the Navy During the Rebellion by Charles B. Boynton (note - this is an old text, published in 1868)

Treasures of the Confederate Coast: The Real Rhett Butler and Other Revelations by E. Lee Spence

Southern Fire: Exploits of the Confederate States Navy by R. Thomas Campbell

Capital Navy: The Men, Ships, and Operations of the James River Squadron by John M. Coski

The Confederate Privateers by William Morrison Robinson, Jr.

UNDERWATER ARCHAEOLOGY:
Ships and Shipwrecks of the Americas: A History Based on Underwater Archaeology by George F. Bass (ed.)

Archaeology and the Social History of Ships by Richard A. Gould

There are many other titles regarding underwater or maritime/nautical archaeology, but they tend to be a bit pricey.
Also try:
Histories and Mysteries: The Shipwrecks of Key Largo by Captain Thomas A Scott

Shipwrecks of the Sunshine State: Florida's Submerged History by Michael C. Barnette

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom