Have I got a book for you!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Natasha
Good idea about a book club! It would be nice to get some reviews and ideas from people about great reads. Read The Last Dive and then Deep Decent both outstanding. Hard to pull yourself away from either book. Also there is a documentary called Hitler's Lost Sub, it is about the challenges to identify the U-Who as described in the Last Dive. This is an outstanding film was on Nova last year, it is worth tracking down.

Diver Drew

Slickeroo,
I want to convey to you what an entertaining read "Helldivers Rodeo" was. I also, couldn't put it down. My wife frequently heard me laughing out loud as I couldn't believe the antics you and your dive mates encountered, and how you delt with them. Makes me wish I wasn't in Indiana missing all the fun.

Thank you for the time and energy you put forth to document your "diving adventures".

Best Regards
Don Costanza

P.S. Because of your book, I have begun researching (aka reading everything I can get my hands on) how to develop a solid foundation / technique on spearfishing.

Thanks out there! Glad y'all liked the book. And especially glad y'all took it the right way. I'm not attempting to instruct-- much less preach (too much of that sanctimonious stuff in SCUBA nowadays, it seems)

I'm just telling a story about a guy's week-end out.

Thanks again
Humberto

Slickeroo once bubbled...

I'm just telling a story about a guy's week-end out.

I wonder how many folks out there who _have_ read the book realize how much you had to "tone down" the underwater action offshore to make a "believeable" book.

After diving with Carl a few times and 20 years diving the rigs from Texas to Alabama on other boats the awesome descriptions in the book don't actually describe the truth of what can, and often does, happen out there. OTOH I couldn't have done a description any more accurately. Words really can't do it justice.

Rig diving just has to be lived to get a true feel for it!

FT

Anyone have any new books to talk about. Im looking for books that have to do with the Civil War Navy and books that have to do with underwater Archeology.

did everyone give up on this thread or what?

Just finished it....

While I found the first half very interesting, the second half spent far too much time discussing the politics of the Seeker vs. Wahoo...I struggled to get through the very end.

I'm reading The Cave Divers right now. It's a quick read and very enjoyable. Lots of history of cave diving....not that anyone will ever get me inside one of those things.

Natasha once bubbled...
Hi!
I just read "Deep Descent" by Kevin F. McMurray.
Excellent book about diving the Andrea Doria. If you can pull yourself away from the computer, read it!
:sunny:

FredT once bubbled...
Rig diving just has to be lived to get a true feel for it!

Amen Fred! There is just something about rig diving that sets it apart, and the allure of hunting for a big fish (like on my profile) certainly adds to the excitement.

roguediver once bubbled...
did everyone give up on this thread or what?

I just revisited it to finish making my Christmas Wish List. With any luck, I'll have some more comments to make on the wonderful book suggestions soon.

Mediaplay is selling "The Last Dive" for $3.99. At least they are only charging $3.49 more than they should.
Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom