Have I got a book for you!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

with you on that Natasha,

You now have a person - however experienced - who is stating to the world that he is diving solo on a cave system and consider this a perfectly acceptable practise, today, someone is going to read this and think "Oh - ok, if Sherpa can do it I can...", next we are not only going to not have Sherpa around, but we are going to have lost additional people because they got the impression that this is a reasonable activity...

My opinion is that anyone is the master of their own life - Sherpa knows all the arguments either way and probably have just decided to disregard sound thinking -
However, if and when someone makes their opinion available in such a way that it may influence others - one has to be careful with what one states - and I will bet you that Sherpa is not likely to go and make the above statement on quest or similar lists - since he KNOWS it is not a safe thing and he knows that he will hear about it and likely get banned from a number of caves - however, this is mostly a recreational forum and therefore a safe place to mak this statement as most people here has no clue what he is talking about anyway...

What I really wonder is - why beat on your chest - I really don't care if you kill yourself as long as I do not have to clean up the mess...

Anyway -
Big T

Big T,
I'm a little confused about the first part of your post. Are you saying I SHOULD have come down harder on sherpa, like other boards would, instead of just saying I will pray for him?
I can only hope divers will read what Lady Diver wrote in the very first post of this section.
We're trying not to "ban" people from the board, and to hear all sides of a situation. We also, don't want others to mirror dangerous diving behaviors.

No - I see where you get the confusion -
I meant that I would not be praying for him as this is self inflicted...
And I was trying to indicate that I think people should be responsible for what they say - one thing is to do it - another is to tell people that it is ok, but that is a very fuzzy area and I try to stay out of those discussions - well, usually anyway...

Big T

This will be my last post on this subject as I understand Wet Dane's post.
Fact is, every cave diver I know with over 200 cave dives solos from time to time.
happy diving

Since this thread went :eek:ff:

I'm gong to try to bring it back.

Additions to my library for training an pleasure reading purposes.

Dive like a Pro
Neutral Bouyancy
Encyclopedia of Recreational diving
Deep Descent

I know DIR Fundamentals is highly recommended here.

I like the idea of a book club. :book2:

Anything else.

Tom

Originally posted by FloridaDiver

Of course, The Last Dive (I think that it would make a great movie!)

BTW, Great topic.

In case you don't know... the PBS documentary "Hitler's Lost Sub" is about the sub that the "bicker brothers" were trying to identify in "Last Dive".

Just wanted to sincerely thank those who bought Helldiver's Rodeo. I'm especially gratified that you enjoyed it. The Travel Channel will run a show based on it titled "Destination Danger" on April 21st. Here you'll see what this crazy stuff actually looks like, great underwater footage of the masses of enormous fish and the lunatics spearing them. The book was described by the New Orleans Times Picayune as "an orgy of political incorrectness!" Bill Maher seens to agree. I'll be on Politically Incorrect March 18th for the third time since last August.

Thanks again to everyone out there.
Humberto

I read it in one sitting. Couldn't put it down! I highly recommend this book to anyone has ever shot a fish or even wanted to.

Thanks!

Tom

read Submerged by Daniel Lenihan I thought this was a real good read. I also like the idea of a book club, and I also don't care if anyone dives solo as long as they dont try and talk others into doing the same thing. 20-30 years ago if we were setting around talking about diving and some one brought up cave diving every one around you would have thought you were crazy but now cave diving is as safe as the next thing if done right. who knows 20-30 years from now the same thing my be said about solo diving. just my thoughts and mine alone.

Another vote for The Helldiver's Rodeo. Definitely a "Hey kids, don't try this at home!" kinda book. Found myself saying over and over "I can't believe that guy DID that and didn't get killed!!!" Couldn't put it down :)

And, while some people have criticized The Last Dive for its apparent worship of people who have made mistakes, I would like to say that I found it intriguing, and also very educational.

As a matter of fact, reading The Last Dive has rekindled a desire to pursue as much information regarding diving science as I can find. Haven't studied a subject this profusely since college.

Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom