Have I got a book for you!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow! I love all these book ideas. Maybe we could start a Book Club? I've been in book clubs, but never a dive related one.
Think it's a good idea? We can pick a book, all read it, and come back here to discuss it?
Now which book haven't we already read?
:sunny:
PS I'm going to the library to get one that either Green or Large, recommended. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks guys.

My favorite diving book has to be The Cave Divers by Robert Burgess. It's an often harrowing account of the history of Cave Diving and depicts some of the most extreme dives ever made.

Other books that I can suggest:

Water and Light by William Harrigan

Caverns Measureless To Man by Sheck Exley

Of course, The Last Dive (I think that it would make a great movie!)

BTW, Great topic.

..."The Silent World" by the incomparable Jacques Cousteau. If you want to know all about the beginnings of our illustrious sport, this is the place to start. Nice piccies too.

I ordered " In the Heart of the Sea". I should be reading it in a few days.
The book by Martin Farr, I was told by the library is only in libraries over seas. Wild huh? She said no one in the US has it. For $3.00 I was able to order from an over seas library. I'll let you know when I get it.
Any ideas for a book club book?

OK - I have been to the bookstore here - it's actually pretty well stocked.

I got two new titles that I have not had time to read yet:

"The Helldivers Rodeo" by Humberto Fontova
About offshore oil platform divers in Texas...

"Treasures of the Deep" by Hugh Edwards
Some tales form the explorations of Mike Hatcher...

I also saw a large format book about Ballard - I think that just hit the stores - I didn't get it though - looked liek a lot of history of the sunken ships...

I have not read any of these yet - primarily because I have been busy - uhm - diving... I guess I will have to cut back on that...

Big T

ps. The bookclub is not such a bad idea - I have ties to some large bookstores up here in the PNW in case there is a desire to make group purchases or soemthing...

Ok - I just had another thought and this may or may not appeal to people...

I have the notion that a lot of people probably purchase their books online - I was thinking that ScubaBoard could become an Amazon affiliate and have a small section where diving related books are listed - when people purchase through this site - the site gets a percentage...

Now - I'm not suggesting that we go and create something that is going to make KN independently wealthy - but I know there are costs associated with running a web site and there are a lot of activities that these guys do for us all - it would be a simple way to give a little back...

Just a thought,

Big T

Big T,
Let's see if we can get a few of us board members to read, the Texas oil rig book. If it works out, and there seems to be a lot of interest in an on going book club, maybe then KN will take us seriously. Let's try one book first and see how it goes. And I know you're right. Running a web site is costly. I'm for any way we can help the big guns make more $$$$, for providing such a wonderful service to us.
So shall we make it official? How many divers are willing to read this book? I'm going to the libraby, and I'll see if she can order it for me. {she's probably going to kill me since I just ordered two} We have a great libraby in walking distance, so I'm an on going patron.

Natasha,

"Darkness Beckons" is available only overseas? I think not,
unless something changed in the past year. I had to wait
several weeks but it was located in the US through the Portsmouth, NH library.

I am considering locating "The Cave Divers" (Burgess) and reading
that book.

That's what the library here told me. In their exchange system, they only show it over seas. I'll pass on your library name to them. Maybe they over looked it. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom