Have SB divers lost interest in GC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I did see some bleaching when in LC in late February, it was a far cry from that captured in @Joneill's videos (which are heartbreaking). And yep, no algae to speak of. Let's hope our differing observations are a sign of a strong comeback.

Regarding critters...during my recent trip the usual cast of characters were present and seemed to be in the same quantity as I saw in my February 2022 and February 2023 trips to LC with sharks being the one exception. In 2022, I saw sharks on what seemed like almost every dive. By 2024 it felt like about every fourth dive. The DMs' opinion was that the drastically reduced diving during Covid induced their return.

FWIW, the DMs spoke less about bleaching than some structural damage to the reef from the early February storm that hit the north side of LC. The DMs obviously get to know every inch of the reef so it's apparent to them where something like an entire barrel sponge broke off the wall and sank but not apparent to me (though I could easily see examples of where a major chunk had broken off). The DMs also mentioned swim-thrus that over the years had filled with sand to the point they were no longer passable that were scoured clean by the storm and back in use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom