Have SB divers lost interest in GC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately, the Cayman reefs may take another hit if this storm develops and follows the the latest projected path. I sure hope not!

TROPICAL DEPRESSION NINE

B79C4548-40A3-4D02-B74F-9FD26B15904C.png

Sadly, I also noticed less parrotfish, and the fish population in general seemed to be a lot less. Maybe the 85º water moves them to deeper, colder water.
I don't know if there is anything deeper for parrotfish to eat - that's in their natural diet. This website (for pet parrotfish) indicates they can tolerate up to 89.6 degrees but ideal is 82 to 86 degrees. That doesn't sound like the water temps would be that much of a problem for the fish.

Someone recently told me the warmer water creates the right conditions for tropical storms. Again, not a marine biologist or meteorologist, just relaying what I've been told.

3.) Grand Cayman looks good for a 'scuba diving trip disguised as a family vacation' (wife's term), in that I could do a couple of boat dives in the morning, then spend time with family. As a cruise port, it's got topside excursions. But GC has a rep. for being expensive.

This is basically my situation and GC, my wife+kids enjoy 7MB and I can get morning dives in and be back before noon.

I'm headed back Nov/Dec and it'll probably stay in my rotation, unless we can find a better beach+diving location that hits all the marks.

Projected track for Ian continuing to drift west taking GC out of the direct hit cone - so good news for GC (maybe bad for Cozumel though) if the track holds or continues westward:

6301D4B8-AA85-4711-989E-43D238F288F5.png

Projected track for Ian continuing to drift west taking GC out of the direct hit cone - so good news for GC (maybe bad for Cozumel though) if the track holds or continues westward:
Unfortunately, it didn’t shift fast enough to save our trip that was supposed to start today. Got an email from LCBR yesterday morning that they were cancelling all inbound reservations from Sept 24-28. Luckily I was able to work out shifting the trip one week later with only minor flight wrangling. Glad to see the forecast keep moving west. Hope it keeps the worst of the nastiness well away from the islands.

View attachment 745334

Unfortunately, it didn’t shift fast enough to save our trip that was supposed to start today. Got an email from LCBR yesterday morning that they were cancelling all inbound reservations from Sept 24-28. Luckily I was able to work out shifting the trip one week later with only minor flight wrangling. Glad to see the forecast keep moving west. Hope it keeps the worst of the nastiness well away from the islands.

I really hope that TS Ian misses Cayman so that the islands are spared a direct hit, but even if the islands don't get hit I think it likely that there will be several days of stormy weather - with rain, waves, and surge. There's never any guarantees about the weather, but I think that it was a good idea to reschedule your trip, @AggieDiver.

I returned to GC end of July, first week of August. Seemed like tourist activity had picked up, but quiet when cruise ships were not in town. We stayed at Sunset House which has redone their rooms. Dive op was great as usual. I had visited GC annually in the 10 years preceding COVID (and one trip to CB) but this was my first return in the last 3 years. I like the mix of boat and shore dives on GC as well as choice of restaurants. LC and CB are kind of a journey back to a simpler time, but too quiet for some. There may be some shore diving on CB but its not as easy to arrange or as varied, IMO as on GC where we like Sunset House reef; Eden Rock/Devil's Grotto and Maccabucca.

GC is definitely more expensive than COZ. I like diving on both islands, although it is different. And the COZ restaurants and hospitality are great. I'm always happy to visit either.

I really hope that TS Ian misses Cayman so that the islands are spared a direct hit, but even if the islands don't get hit I think it likely that there will be several days of stormy weather - with rain, waves, and surge. There's never any guarantees about the weather, but I think that it was a good idea to reschedule your trip, @AggieDiver.
I agree with you, but I can’t claim all the credit for the good decision. I woke up leaning towards postponing it, but the Clearly Cayman folks made the decision Friday morning to cancel the arrivals, while I was planning to wait until late friday to make the call. Would have been a very sloppy day of diving today if the boats even went out, which I doubt. Even with the storm going quite a ways to the west, the sea conditions are likely to be pretty nasty for the next day or two at least.

Back
Top Bottom