Have SB divers lost interest in GC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just returned from a quick trip to GC. The weather was great and the diving was excellent. Water temps 85 degrees, sunny skies and calm seas. Few tourists after labor day. One day the three of us had the whole boat to ourselves! Went diving with Don Fosters. First dive is 80ft. max for 45 minutes. 2nd dive is 60+ minutes thanks to a lengthy surface interval. Friendly crew, and Sergio, the manager, is a pleasure to deal with. No covid requirements anymore. Will definitely visit again.
85 degree water feels great but is too warm and why the reefs in GC are deteriorating.

The thread is about GC - not LC…
Fair enough. Just seemed like the discussion had trended towards the Caymans in general, to just GC. I also see a lot of people who assume LC and CB are just smaller less crowded repeats of what you get on GC, and that isn’t the case at all.

Fair enough. Just seemed like the discussion had trended towards the Caymans in general, to just GC. I also see a lot of people who assume LC and CB are just smaller less crowded repeats of what you get on GC, and that isn’t the case at all.
NP - I think LC and CB cater to a different audience than GC so will continue to attract divers more than GC.

I agree with the last few posters. I love LC and the Brac and really dislike GC. Too much traffic, high prices, and drunk drivers on the roads every evening and weekend. The diving on GC seems to have deteriorated more than the out islands. If I do end up on GC because of family pressure, I stay at the North end of Seven Mile Beach to be a short distance from
Yacht Club and West Bay Dock to catch boats
Shore dives at NW Point and Cobalt
Macabuca Bar
Fosters Food Fair

and still avoid the crowds further south

We’re going to LCBR in Oct/Nov for two weeks. The resort is 100% sold out. I’ve been trying to get extra rooms to no avail. I reckon that they’re doing just fine.
You may want to check again. I just had to rebook our trip for a week later due to the incoming tropical storm, and I was told they had availability throughout October. It may be the first week of Nov that is causing your issues, or they may have gotten some recent cancellations.

You may want to check again. I just had to rebook our trip for a week later due to the incoming tropical storm, and I was told they had availability throughout October. It may be the first week of Nov that is causing your issues, or they may have gotten some recent cancellations.
Just checked: Nov 3 to 17. Need a room or two more in the first week. Still nuthin avail.

85 degree water feels great but is too warm and why the reefs in GC are deteriorating.
I wonder what the parrot fish population is like in GC. My understanding is that if they are being fished or dying for some reason, the algae they eat will begin to kill off the reef. Not a marine biologist - just something I heard.

I wonder what the parrot fish population is like in GC. My understanding is that if they are being fished or dying for some reason, the algae they eat will begin to kill off the reef. Not a marine biologist - just something I heard.
I had noticed less parrotfish in GC on my last trip before the pandemic vs my earlier trips there - especially rainbow parrots.

I had noticed less parrotfish in GC on my last trip before the pandemic vs my earlier trips there - especially rainbow parrots.
Sadly, I also noticed less parrotfish, and the fish population in general seemed to be a lot less. Maybe the 85º water moves them to deeper, colder water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom