Have You Had an Unexpected Ascent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not yet!

Actually yes............when the tether let go on a hot air balloon.

But that's another story.

jbm

Inflator hose malfunctioned & got stuck on.

Tank got light at end of dive (in OW class) & I sailed up once we got to about 25'.

Accidentally hit the power inflator instead of the dump button.

I'm still alive. I expended lots of energy trying to descend again, used up air like crazy. Got tired. Was exhausted by the time I resolved to make the swim to shore on the surface. Felt dumb & panicky. Husband started sneaking extra weights into my BC. It only made things tougher. Now I am very compassionate to OW students who are sailing up out of control. It is a helpless feeling, and to have someone criticize you for it later does not help.

I was diving with too much weight (new wetsuit), so I had more air in my BC than usual. We ran into a reef and got shallow, and then whoosh, off I went. Fortunately we were only in 3-4m (10-12ft) of water at the time and my instinctive reaction was to breathe out as hard as possible. Freaked me out, though.

Zept

Unexpected? Never.
Unwanted? Always.

No, I've never had to endure an emergency ascent - controlled or otherwise. Over the years I've been on dives that were called early (by myself or others and for a variety of reasons - usually cold), but I don't think that's what you're asking about.

Steven

only though. It was at Plum Run quarry during my advanced open water class. The entire group ended up on the surface unexpectedly. I was following the group and saw them going up although I could tell they were trying not to. A few seconds later I was ascending also without wanting to. What I noticed at the time I started ascending was that the water temp suddenly went up and there seemed to be a lifting action going on. We all had emptied all the air from our BC's in a futile attempt to stay at depth. We started a surface swim to another location and I noticed the water temp drop after only going 30 feet. IMHO there must have been some sort of upwelling current.

I've been lucky so far - but it doesnt mean it wont so you always have to be prepared! :mean:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom