Have you tested positive for COVID?

Have you tested positive for COVID?

• I didn’t test positive, but I had it.

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • I tested positive, but was asymptomatic/minimal symptoms

Votes: 16 8.1%
  • I tested positive, it was the worst.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I tested positive and was hospitalized.

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • I tested positive and am a long hauler

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not been tested, nor have I been sick

Votes: 86 43.4%
  • I was tested negative

Votes: 81 40.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is overwhelming evidence that smoking and drinking damage unborn children in numerous different ways. That is not a small risk and completely avoidable. Telling people about those risks has caused a decline in smoking and drinking in pregnancy.

These autism studies are very small studies indicating increases in much smaller risks. Indeed the smoking studies cover quite a lot of the same outcomes.

The point is not to blame anyone else other than mothers, the point is that some causes are impossible to identify and so there is no blame. Even an increased risk is not a cause.
Right. So, despite the 3-fold increase in autism rate in children since 2004 there is no need to investigate possible causes, or else we'll have to blame something or, God forbid, someone. For with much wisdom comes much sorrow.

Her own explanation was that "she has a condition and often faints, when she feels pain" and that "it was quite characteristic for her". Which would be quite plausible - had she not fainted just as she was uttering that "she felt great" - not reporting any pain whatsoever. Go figure.
Yes, let's do 'go figure'. And, let's focus the discussion on fact, and reality. As far as I can tell, NONE of the individuals participating in this discussion, myself included, were present at the vaccination. So, we have to rely on established knowledge of physiology, the clinical presentation shown in the video, and our professional training and experience, as it might apply. And, using that approach, a most logical explanation has already been provided by a knowledgeable individual.
uncfnp:
I am sure the cameras and lights didn’t help either and it seems she said this was not unusual for her. The medical term is vasovagal and not uncommon with injections.
Yes. And, there is NOTHING implausible in this situation AT ALL. This could be considered a classic / textbook example of a vasovagal reaction. It is a physiologic reaction, most often stimulated by a physical event (e.g. insertion of a needle; reaction to intense pain; even occurrence of a bowel movement). At times it can be stimulated by just a visual cue (sight of blood, or even the sight of a needle). The vagus nerve is stimulated, and heart rate slows. There is associated dilation of blood vessels, and blood pressure drops. While it may appear to be more pronounced in a standing subject, a seated subject can easily experience it. It can occur VERY quickly (a matter of seconds). Having a subject say that they feel fine, and almost immediately suffer light-headedness, or a loss of consciousness, is NOT in any way unusual. The fact that a subject may state that she often faints when she feels pain is actually supportive of that assessment, and the absence of pain in any particular instance is irrelevant.
uncfnp:
The most susceptable seem to be young men. :) When we hear the checkout staff call for help we know it’s probably a man fainting from an injection/procedure.
YES! Been there, done that. :) Early in my practice career, perhaps the third or fourth subject to whom I administered a vaccination was a young, male graduate student. He exhibited the same signs that this nurse did. I did the injection - he was seated - and I had him remain seated for well over a minute afterward. I asked him how he was doing, and he said, 'I feel fine'. So, I had him stand up and started walking him out to the check-out station in the clinic, and he collapsed against me (fortunately, because I was able to control his descent to the floor. :)) He quickly regained consciousness, and with help I moved him onto the examination table. We kept him in a supine position and monitored him for 15 minutes, during which his heart rate and BP were stable, and he was able to leave. Scared the h**l out of me, frankly. But, I learned over time that 'it happens'.
I am also absolutely sure that that two extremely successful and wealthy companies that "developed" the vaccine would leave things to chance and completely neglect to screen the medical history of one of the first persons they chose to administer the vaccine to. Especially for any imuno - deficiencies and/or pre - existing conditions, such as the person being prone to fainting when taking a jab. And all of that during their own carefully prepared publicity event, right in front of the press and TV cameras, with millions watching. Yeah, right.
Yes, absolutely right! What was administered was an approved commercial product. The company that developed and manufactured it had NOTHING to do with the selection of the subject, or any pre-administration evaluation. There was no research protocol involved. Now, as a health care provider, if I was going to create a brief video, to illustrate the safety of an important new vaccine and re-assure the public, I just might have picked a colleague who did not have a history of syncopal episodes, to stand in front of the microphone. :) Or, if I was that nurse and I was asked to make comments, I just might have suggested that it would probably be better to be sitting down at the microphone, rather than standing up. :)

I'm kind of surprised the whole fainting-after-getting-a-shot thing isn't more widely known. My dad has had this his whole life, and although I'm generally cool with needles, it happened to me too one year with the flu shot. I suspect most people do know someone who has had this reaction, though they might not know who it is, as people are often embarrassed about it.

I'm kind of surprised the whole fainting-after-getting-a-shot thing isn't more widely known. . . . I suspect most people do know someone who has had this reaction, though they might not know who it is, as people are often embarrassed about it.
I do suspect that there is a 'fear-of-telling' factor, associated with embarrassment. :) I have never experienced a full syncopal episode. But, I have certainly felt nausea (the other effect of vagal stimulation), and light-headedness after a particularly bad venipuncture attempt by a Cardiology Fellow. :) I finally had to tell him, 'Hal, you need to stop, before I puke on your shoes.'

It is nothing the be ashamed of, it is not a sign of weakness. It is a physical event, over which the subject / patient really has no control.

The video is somewhat unfortunate in a way. People may have an understandable skepticism regarding the safety of a product that has been developed in an incredibly short time frame. (I am amazed.) They may be a concerned about a vaccine technology which, although not new in itself, is new in terms of the widespread human use that it will see. And, yes, there is no way that we can - today - know the long term (e.g. 20 or 30 year) safety profile, or even a 5 year safety profile. But, that is true for most new drug entities. The video should not be used to promulgate hysterical warnings about the safety of the vaccine, about some secret government conspiracy to control the populace, etc. . I am old enough to remember standing in a long line on a Sunday afternoon to receive an oral polio vaccine, that was also somewhat new. And, my parents weighed the pros and cons - of a new vaccine - against the likelihood of the devastating illness it was intended to prevent. People need to do the same with the COVID vaccine. I don't feel the need to be first in line. :) But, I am not opposed to being vaccinated if I believe the safety and efficacy data are compelling. I know people who have been infected and spent 56 days in the ICU, including 40 days on a ventilator (and survived). I have no desire to go there. I also know people whose only real symptom was a complete loss of taste, coupled with just a bit of fatigue, which cleared in 3 days, and whose antibody titers fortunately remain quite elevated. And, based on the data available, that (mild symptomatology) seems to be the more common infection course. So, make decisions about your own health practices - including engaging in reasonable behaviors to prevent disease - on the basis of information, not alarmism.

As an aside, the video was also somewhat reassuring in a way. I imagine that nurse will say, 'It that's the worst thing to happen to me that day, it was still a pretty good day!'

It is nothing the be ashamed of, it is not a sign of weakness. It is a physical event, over which the subject / patient really has no control.

I don't mind needles, blood draws, watching my wound being sutured, etc. If an eye doctor shines a light on my retina after dilating my pupils though, I go down fast!

I was not really aware of this reaction. The amount of pain from a vaccine should be minimal, unless there is some type of allergic reaction, right?

So what about people who are diving and get jabbed by a scorpion fish, or lionfish, or sea urchin or stung by fire coral? All those events are much more intense than a tiny needle. Would we expect these same people to go unconscious when diving? This is something I have never really considered.

Right. So, despite the 3-fold increase in autism rate in children since 2004 there is no need to investigate possible causes, or else we'll have to blame something or, God forbid, someone. For with much wisdom comes much sorrow.
Investigation is fine, your assertion that use of a particular drug in pregnancy is implicated, while ignoring a million and one other factors known and unknown, is not. Take a read of The Real Reasons Autism Rates Are Up in the U.S. which discusses previous under reporting (or perhaps current over reporting depending on your point of view) and the related genetics articles.

Investigation is fine, your assertion that use of a particular drug in pregnancy is implicated, while ignoring a million and one other factors known and unknown, is not. Take a read of The Real Reasons Autism Rates Are Up in the U.S. which discusses previous under reporting (or perhaps current over reporting depending on your point of view) and the related genetics articles.
Absolutely. I grew up in the 50s and 60s. As a young child, there were a set of twins at the end of the block that spent the majority of time rocking back and forth and were largely nonverbal, nobody put a name on it. I went to school with many kids that struggled to keep up, autism was a likely diagnosis. Recognition and diagnostic criteria are certainly at play here.

Wow, this thread took a different turn! Huh...so weird for Scubaboard! :wink:

So what about people who are diving and get jabbed by a scorpion fish, or lionfish, or sea urchin or stung by fire coral? All those events are much more intense than a tiny needle. Would we expect these same people to go unconscious when diving? This is something I have never really considered.

The answer is not necessarily. Psychological expectations can play a role. For example, if someone has a phobia of needles, then they may experience a vasovagal reflex in response to the minor pain caused by the needle. They may not experience the reflex in response to a more intense pain that they don't have a phobia about. And, as I indicated, I experience it in response to a strong light to my retina, which is not really painful. I also don't have a phobia about my eyes either. There is a just lot of variation and it often isn't predictable.

Also, I was teaching once and put up an illustration of blood cells. It was just a drawing of the different blood cell types. I look out at my students and see one kid completely passed out in his seat. I went over and revived him and asked him if he needed medical assistance. He said no, he was fine. He told me he had such a phobia of blood that even an illustration or discussion of it would trigger this response in him.

Sorry that I’m late to find this thread and to hear of your diagnosis @Wookie. Best wishes for a full and rapid recovery.

You initially asked how mild or bad individual cases have been. I’ve lost one family member and a life-long friend to COVID-19. Zoom funerals are no less wrenching to attend then more traditional funerals, wakes, shivas, and etc.

I’ve also had two friends who have been in ICUs, one was intubated for a week. Both of these individuals are no longer hospitalized, but are not nearly as robust and vivacious as they were mere months ago. Their long term prognoses are as yet unclear.

I’ve got one friend who is a somewhat well known diver and physician who has recovered and is considering returning to the ocean after he gets back into better physical condition. Other friends have had milder cases, but those who were divers will consult with their physicians before resuming dive activities.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom