Have you used your dive knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've used my knife to trim my brother's new belt to length, and I've also used it underwater to pry Red Rock crab out of crevices when I'm hunting. I've never really needed it, but I wouldn't want to go without it.

Pretty much like everyone else. I carry two blunt tips, one small one attached to my BC and a medium (Wenoka Z-Lock) on my inner calf sometimes.

Monofilament, ropes, extracting tasty morsels from shells, spines, jelly jars, cutting meat, watermelon, etc.

Oh yes I almost forgot - scraping/shaving brain coral off (other divers') wetsuits. :11:

Yep, I use my knives frequently. Prying rock scallops loose, making sushi out of sea urchins for the fish (they are extremely abundant and annoying in this area), holding my place by jamming it in the sand during a strong surge, cutting monofillament and rope, catching that halibut every now and then. I have a 'machete' strapped to my ankle and a small gerber knife tied off to my bc for emergency use.

Used it on my first OW cert dive to cut fishing net wrapped around a sponge.

My OW instructor told me that he was once caught in a drag net. Said that he was fortunate in that he was able to get one hand on his mask/reg to hold it in place, and the other hand on his knife to hack himself free. (second hand story, but he seemed reliable). Since then I've carried a large knife on my calf, and a small one on my BC.

After reading stories about steel leader on this site, I will be getting a pair of shears, as well.

I use my knife all the time. If its not cutting lines, its for prying off tasty rock scallops or killing a fish I just speared. I also use it to feed the fishes with urchins.

I carry 2 knives, a little crappy remora on my pressure inflator hose and a kill knife on my calf for spearfishing, but i carry it with me even when i'm not spearfishing, its part of my kit, so on it goes.

Back
Top Bottom