Have you used your dive knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubblemaker_ontario:
Someone told me that the dive knife is useful with regards to defending against dangerous Sharks ...

I use mine to defend myself from fearsome crabs and their lightning fast jabs.

But mostly to cut monofilament

Yes, I use EMT shears for gillnet, a hacksaw for poly line (usually around a wheel) and my knife for prying the line off the prop shaft so I can get to it with the hacksaw.

downunderjenn:
I used it to sharpen my pencil to my arm slate..

yeah, Z knife is great for pencils, OTOH I usually have at least 2 backup pencils.

I use my knife all the time. When diving or snorkling in high current it is useful for pulling yourself along the bottom. It is also great for cutting fishing line or marking tape.

Have you ever been in a situation where you have needed to use your dive knife or any other cutting tools? If you have I'd be intrested how and why they were used. Thanks!

I had an occasion to use my dive knife last night. While on a routine dive, I chanced upon a ratfish that was behaving oddly ... looking like he was chewing the bark off a piece of brush that had fallen in the water and sank to the bottom. Upon closer examination, I realized that the poor creature had a hook in his mouth that was attached to several feet of monofilament line. The line had become entangled in the brush, trapping the fish. Worse, sun stars were closing in for an easy meal. The ratfish was struggling desperately to get away before the sun stars got ahold of him, but there was only about an inch of line giving him any freedom of movement at all. Without help, the fish was doomed. I cut the line and freed the fish ... who swam away with the hook still embedded in his lower lip.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, You must be having a slow day if you are reviving an 8 year old thread.

Bob, You must be having a slow day if you are reviving an 8 year old thread.

Indeed ... although I thought it was a newer one I saw recently. Never been much good at using the search function ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I was diving in Canyon Lake in Texas and got caugh up in a lot of fishing line and had to cut myself free. I also was diving in Cozumel and needed to wait for my buddy to catch up. There was no coral to hide behind so I stuck my knife in the sand so I didnt have to kick and just waited.

I've used it to cut myself free from a fisherman at the other end.

I used my dive knife to remove a bolt snap from an old gauge. This weekend I used it to spread peanut butter and jelly on bread for lunch. And I have never used my dive knife to open a scallop under water for a quick sushi snack- scouts honor.

Back
Top Bottom